FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend wants me to fix this problem on her 92 lx. i'm not exactly sure how to go about this. would the floater by the fuel pump have some type of connector that went bad or do these gauges just stop workin? i have 2 sport clusters that i could grab the gauges from but not sure if they would fit in an origional cluster.

· Registered
925 Posts
Pull the fuel pump and ensure that the sending unit float is not hung up or frozen into place. If you get varied resistance at the pump electrical connector as you cycle the float...it is either the wire to the gauge or the gauge itself.

Good luck...

· Registered
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so ur sayin the resistance would change if i were to move the floater? how would i check the gauge if it's bad?

· Registered
5,164 Posts
The change in resistance is what causes gauge to move. The float arm contacts a potentiometer and sends a resisted voltage to gauge which determines its position. The easier way to check is to pull sender and with key on, sweep the float arm end to end and watch gauge coherence. It is slow to respond to eliminate slosh readings so give it a minute. If gauge doesn't respond, find the sender wire to dash and disconnect it, the gauge should respond to change. Then ground that wire and see if gauge responds. Once gauge and wires are eliminated as an issue, replace the sender.

· Premium Member
676 Posts
Be very careful testing your gauge in this manner.

You pull the sender out of the tank, your removing the ground screw.
You turn the key on and touch anything metal and you will get a spark.

Not a situation I want to be in !

· Registered
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^definatly not gonna try that

LOWETGT, i could check for volts goin to the gauge at the sending unit connetor side of the wires with my volt meter, right?

· Registered
925 Posts
Benlightnd said:
Be very careful testing your gauge in this manner.

You pull the sender out of the tank, your removing the ground screw.
You turn the key on and touch anything metal and you will get a spark.

Not a situation I want to be in !
C'mon guys...lets think about this for a minute.

You pull the pump and sending unit (all together) and remove it from the car. Take it into the garage, shop, dog house, bathroom, hell...sleep with damn the thing if you want to. All you're looking for is that there is a sweep in the resistance that corresponds to the movement in the sending unit float. You DON'T need power to the pump or anything else for that matter to check this. :lol:

It ain't nitro glycerin and you're not going to blow up... :wink:

· Registered
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks. her car just died so i got some testing to do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.