FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone's seen this before. I had to replace my fuel pump recently for a pressure issue. First fuel pump from O'reilly's. Once the car got below half a tank, a right turn on a city corner ad anything more than creeping speed causes it to lose power until a few seconds after the corner. Obvious fuel supply issue. Took the pump back to O'Reilly's and got another one, same symptom. Took that back and got a Delphi from Rock Auto, one they call premium, same problem, fuel starvation on right turns. By now, I know how to deal with it driving the car but it's a pain in the ass, and the wife refuses to drive it. Thoughts anybody?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Did you check this out?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Nothing wrong with the pumps, it's just that the fuel flows away from the pickup on right turns.

I'm familiar with the six page thread on the subject linked to above, and while I didn't review the whole thing, I disagree with the idea that the problem is on the pressure side of the pump, it's the suction side that sees air instead of fuel on the sharp right corners.

Start reading from post #108 (page 6) on that thread for the font of wisdom.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, I know. What's happpening is the sock came off off of the pump. Take the sender out and you'll have to fish around for the sock. Then reattach and reinstall. Been there done that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully someone's seen this before. I had to replace my fuel pump recently for a pressure issue. First fuel pump from O'reilly's. Once the car got below half a tank, a right turn on a city corner ad anything more than creeping speed causes it to lose power until a few seconds after the corner. Obvious fuel supply issue. Took the pump back to O'Reilly's and got another one, same symptom. Took that back and got a Delphi from Rock Auto, one they call premium, same problem, fuel starvation on right turns. By now, I know how to deal with it driving the car but it's a pain in the ass, and the wife refuses to drive it. Thoughts anybody?
Guys, I'm embarrassed that I didn't see the cause right away. Obviously, the sock is too damned long and the pump sucks air just as soon as enough fuel pours away from it. Solution was to shorten the sock a lot. Did so and put it back in the car, problem solved.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I replaced a fuel pump once along with the different shape sock it came with, and the problem was really bad.
I put the cleaned, original sock back on and it was a lot better.
Somewhere in the long posts linked a member also noted that one brand of filter sock came with an O-ring seal against the pump, which stopped air getting in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts