FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 95 1.9L that I thought just ran out of gas, (yeah, I am kicking myself for that one) coasted to a parking lot and parked it. I did not try to restart it until I got a gallon of gas into it. Checked the cut-off switch, put the gallon in it, turned the key, and it tried to crank but did not turn over.
Double checked the fuses, searched around the engine for an oil blow, etc... It will crank, but will not turn over, I do honestly believe it just ran out of gas, however I am being told the fuel pump is bad now. I know running a car out of gas is a stupid thing to do, but I was not going faster then 30, probably under 1500 RPMs. So the chance of damage is minimal, killing the fuel pump just does not sound right.
So I am going up their later today to either fix or tow it back, and would like to have a sort of checklist to run through if you would be kind enough to help with that.
Starting fluid? Any way of testing the pump without pulling up my rear seat? I have a pump I can pull out of my project car (1.8L, but the fuel tank components are the same I believe). Thanks for the help!!!

Edit - Just drove it back, I think it may have just needed to get the fuel running through the lines. Got there, checked it over, started up after a few coughs and it's right back to running like a champ! Our other vehicle is a 10-15 mpg chevy van, or my time trial EGT (w/ no a/c and I doubt it is street legal) so I am very happy to get it right back on the road! Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Makes sense to me. He turns key, starter engages, but the engine won't fire.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
BOSS302man said:
By the way, running a fuel pump low can burn it up even at idle.
absolutely. the pump is always pumping. it doesn't care if you are at redline or idle.

do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key? how long did you try to start it after adding gas? it may take some time to work its way through the lines to the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts