FEOA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just a quick question: where do y’all buy your injectors from? If I look online, pretty much exclusively eBay results pop up, and while they all say they fit the 2.0, the images don’t look like the spi ones to me (but to be fair I’m kind of an idiot) and if I message the sellers they just give me a generic “if your car is one of the ones listed, than these fit” message. Also, when I checked rockauto, it said one left, but didn’t specify if it was one injector, or one set of 4, and as previously stated I’m kind of an idiot, so I didn’t want to risk it

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
my first question would be.. why do you need to replace them? any local parts house should be able to find them.
Yes. BTW fuel injectors alone will not improve performance unless you have other mods that increase fuel necessity.

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my first question would be.. why do you need to replace them? any local parts house should be able to find them.
Sorry! Not sure how I missed all these replies! I purchased a 97 2.0 SPI wagon that as far as I can tell has sat since 2013 (last time it was registered, and the only thing i found inside of it while snooping around was a ski lift ticket from January of that year) so just to be safe I'm going through and redoing belts, hoses, fluids, things that could have suffered from sitting in a dry hot climate for that long. Figured it wouldn't hurt replacing them

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
just stock. Just going through, and doing general upkeep. Car's sat for a while, figure it couldn't hurt it
Injectors don't go bad like rubber parts from sitting unless fuel has been sitting for so long that it turns onto varnish but that takes years.

John

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
New fuel going through the injectors will tend to clean any gum present, but if they still are misbehaving you can always add a bottle of miracle cure to the gas.
I like to add a couple gallons of E85 to the gas if I seem to be having any deposit issues, because it costs a little less than regular gas, so basically is free.
It really improves octane value as well. I added some to one of our vehicles that was knocking a little with ancient gas in it. The knocking disappeared.

Much easier than changing them out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New fuel going through the injectors will tend to clean any gum present, but if they still are misbehaving you can always add a bottle of miracle cure to the gas.
I like to add a couple gallons of E85 to the gas if I seem to be having any deposit issues, because it costs a little less than regular gas, so basically is free.
It really improves octane value as well. I added some to one of our vehicles that was knocking a little with ancient gas in it. The knocking disappeared.

Much easier than changing them out.
they seem fine now, I basically just added a bunch of seafoam to the tank after I replaced the fuel pump (it was doin that pesky cut out during turns if I have a half tank or less thing), I was just worried it was a temp fix. It's a relief to know it's not though, thank you! Unrelated: suspension looks like it's pretty easy to change out on these; is it?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I've changed the rear springs and front struts, and with patience and the proper spring compressors it's not too bad. You won't have the problem of rust up fasteners that plagues people in the salt belt.

The fronts would be much easier to change if you bought the whole deal, spring, strut etc. already assembled.

When my fuel gauge wasn't working I knew I had to buy gas when the engine would hesitate on right turns. So it was a useful feature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, mine doesn’t work either! I must’ve screwed up a ground somewhere, because now my gas gauge always reads full. I just fill up every day when I leave work. It works out, because gas is about 35 cents per gallon cheaper by my work than where I live, so at least I’m saving money in a sense. That’s the one nice thing about Arizona too, no rust here

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wouldnt mess with replacing injectors. if anything in the fuel system is going to fail its more likely to be the pump.
Pump's new, although I think I screwed a ground up, because now the tank always reads really super extra full. Y'all have convinced me though, I'm gonna leave the injectors alone, there's nothing wrong with it (right now) I was just trying to preemptively fix any problems caused by sitting in a desert for 7ish years. Any suggestions? So far, she's got new hoses, belts, plugs, wires, fluids, fuel pump/filter, and LEDs all around, because I'm a sucker for things that light up (except blinkers, because the blinker speed controller looked like a pain to switch out, and I didn't want to mess with putting resistors in. ((And I think super speedy blinkers look tacky))) and probably a new IAC valve, because the idle seemed a bit stuttery today, and I'm a careful boy

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Did the fuel gauge work before the pump was replaced?
If so, most likely the wire to the sender on the fuel pump hanger is not hooked up right, or the terminal is corroded.
If the gauge didn't work before, it probably is due to the little wiper arm inside the sender unit corroding away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did the fuel gauge work before the pump was replaced?
If so, most likely the wire to the sender on the fuel pump hanger is not hooked up right, or the terminal is corroded.
If the gauge didn't work before, it probably is due to the little wiper arm inside the sender unit corroding away.
Yep! It worked totally fine before. Cool! I’ll check that when I get off work tomorrow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts