FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quick question about the fuel gauge. I just bought a 97 LX and the gas gauge read 1/2 tank, went to put gas in the tank and it still reads 1/2 tank, the question is, is this a common issue? and does anyone know how to fix this? is it pretty easy or a PITA? thanks for any info on this

·
Registered
125 Posts
My gas tank is stupid also, it reads half a tank when I have 9 gallons left..my bro says it's the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You will find that probelm to be very common on these cars. Im not sure how people have fixed it, im guessing replace the sending unit. I think most people just keep track of how many miles they have driven in order to know how much gas they really have. My fuel gauge likes to tell me i only have 1/4 tank when it really has 8-10 gallons.

Skeets, the fuel filter has nothing to do with your gauge. Although changing it is probably a good idea when buying a used car, it is not going to have any affect on your fuel gauge.

·
Registered
493 Posts
you can only check the sender manually, take out the fuel pump assembly fron the tank and put the ignition on (no motor) then move the sender to see the movement of the fuel gauge, you can only check if the signal are ok, but the difference between the gauge and the volume of gas inside the tank you won´t.

the fuel sender and the fuel gauge have like 1/8 of error, the recall says that if you have problems with the gauge just replace it, one problem is that sometimes when you have like 1/" tank and turn off the car and then turn on, the fuel gauge rise to full tank then it start to drop when you drive the car, this is my problems, it doesn´t happend always but it´s frequently.

best regards

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
The gauge itself is bad. Mine did the same thing and I replaced the actual gauge in the cluster to fix the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts