FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my fuel filter just recently went kaput. Any ideas on what would be the best option for a new one? does it even really matter?
I ve been looking at the ones for my year and there dont seem to be many... but they all vary in price by quite a lot.
is it just a name or what? Bosh says its OEM, but the Forcast filter is like... 12 bucks.
any opinions? lemme know

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, just whatever you can find. The place where I bought mine only had Fram in stock, so I went with that, regardless of any stigma associated with their products. If you really care that much, Motorcraft is "Official Ford" stuff.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
The Fram fuel filters seem to be fine. I've cut a couple open before, and they're pretty well built...no cardboard endcaps, and good pleating. Ford suggests replacing the fuel filter every 12k miles...honestly, I would say this is probably a good idea given the amount of rust and dirt in modern gasoline. The fuel pumps have filters on them (look like FL-1As to me) but I've yet to see any station replace the filters. So, they fill up (quickly) and go into bypass, passing along the dirt and debris to your tank, which in turn clogs the fuel pump pickup filter, wears the fuel pump out faster, and causes fuel line clogging (had it happen on my car when I got it), along with fuel tank rusting, possible fuel line rusting, and destroying the injector(s). Change the filter often.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i was just wondering cause this one was rusty.. i mean do they make plastic ones?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Nope, no plastic. I doubt it would handle the constant pressure. I've seen galvanized and stainless steel ones. Was the filter rusty on the inside or outside? If it was inside, it was catching rust from the fuel. If it was on the outside...that's odd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts