FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am in the final stages of production for my control arms. I do not have pics yet, they will be released when I feel that they perform to my standards. I will have some options like different anodized or powercoat colors. The machinist that I have been working with also thinks we can make a sweet intake manifold. I have not set pricing yet but they will come as complete bolt on kits with extra adjustment for cars that have been lowered. Please post or pm me if you any interest in these so I can get an idea of how many i should make in my first run.

Thanks guys!

Matt @ merrittmotorsports

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
91-96 so far, I haven't seen any 1st or 3rd gen arms, they might be the same but I will assume they are not. They will be made out of 6061 aluminum or 304 stainless havent decided yet(hence why this post is here) However I might just make both and test both on my car. They will be beaten on to death, I will have pics up in about a week weekandahalf or so.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Mmmmm. Control arms. :D

Keep me posted. Especially with the intake mani if your going to do it for the SPI.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
i will defenetly be looking foward for those control arms...good work!!

anomalous

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im very interested if they are a quality peice, lighter than stock would be good since the stock ones are freakin heavy ........more rigid than stock too.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
swalltr207jg said:
huh? ^ whats that mean?
solid modeling is drawing it up on the computer. FEA is a simulated digital loading test, using the solid model. You input loads and where the load is applied, and how it is applied, and the computer crunches numbers based on the design of the part, and what it is to be made of, and it will tell you how close the part is to failure under normal loads. I wouldn't buy any part as important as a control arm if it hadn't be FEA'd or at least real world desturctive tested to give some hard numbers on how strong it actually is.... No disrespect to you merritt... It's just that I'm in the process of becoming an engineer, I trust no one's calculations, not even my own :wink:

Speaking of failures... Why Aluminum? Why not Chromoly steel tube? Aluminum has no safe load limit when it comes to repeated loading, unlike steel, which can be calculated...

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
im always down for more suspension... any ideas on a price range tough... with my turbo setup nearly done i need to be good and start putting money asside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will be doing fea on them. I will be field testing them on 2 separate cars however. My own and a buddy of mine. If you knew what I was going to be doing to them it would be better than any computer test. I already have 25 cones and a preplotted autocross course to test them for 50 hot laps as well as 2 skid pad tests(just hard cornering) most parts on the market have never had such testing done on their parts.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Can't wait to see them :twisted:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Any updates?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts