FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any luck cleaning up oxidized/foggy head lamps? I found a place local to where i am but they want $75 canadian a lamp. There must be a cheaper/easier way.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
what!!!!!!!!!%%????? you can clean like....10 headlights for 7 $ CDN !!!! if you do it yourself....just get some rubbing compound at canadian tires...should do the trick...

·
Registered
802 Posts
i did it, worked super, just sanded them with 200 grit up and the nubs and it all dissappeared, wetsand, then compound plastic cleaer.. marvelous, ill look for the how too, its here somewhere

·
Registered
135 Posts
i just used 3 diff types of compound i didnt like sandin it when i did it... cuz it scratched it all up and just made it take longer

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello:

But does anyone know a place where you can get them
cheaply?

Maybe some aftermarket lights do not become yellow like
the stock?

Thank you,

Rob.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If anyone finds that how-to I would love to have that info. My problem is not getting the headlights off. (I had to replace one after I melted the internals of it from trying to use a high-watt bulb. FYI: Don't use the higher watt lamps on the 2nd Gen headlights, unless you like frustration and cuss words.) I couldn't see a way to separate the "clear" plastic from the back of the fixture without tearing it all to hell. The one I replaced was from a junkyard so it is as yellow as the original one. (Sure wish I had known that website from above earlier.) So, if you find that how-to, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
im just going to switch the headlamps from my mom's scort to my scort. heheheheh >:-] hers are less oxidized anyway...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Spider-Man said:
If anyone finds that how-to I would love to have that info.
The forums on this site are arranged to easily find relevant posts. The search doesn't work on posts since the last big forum update, so occasionally you actually need to take a look through the pages for an older post... but they're not hard to find if you use your browser's find function on each page (Ctrl+F in IE). I'm not trying to be a prick. I'm just trying to let you know that the information that doesn't show up when doing a search may be there anyway.

It took me about 2 minutes to find these posts about headlight cleaning in the Exterior Modifications forum.

Clear Corners vs. Dirty Headlights

Headlight cleaning question

Cleaned Headlight Pics

I hope those help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After wet sanding with 2000 grit, before applying the plastic polish.. are the headlights suppose to look all foggy and not light-penetrable?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like Dapsi said, polishing compound and elbow grease and mine cleared up. Yeah it should look a little foggy til you start polishing it. It should clear up after the polish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plux91 said:
Like Dapsi said, polishing compound and elbow grease and mine cleared up. Yeah it should look a little foggy til you start polishing it. It should clear up after the polish.
Awesome.. ty :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts