FEOA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i have wanted to put some fog lights on my ´95 LX for the longest time. but i really havent seen any lights that i really liked from the stores. my question is, that if i can obtain some foglights from a GT, would they fit in the openings easily, or am i going to have to do some semi-drastic alterations to my car? i already know the differences between the LX and GT bumpers on where the fog lights will go, but i just want to know how difficult the project would be, or if i´d be better off just buying the ones from an autostore.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I´ve got a 95Lx and a 91 GT. I´ll see if i can measure out the differences in height for you soon. chances are the project would be fairly easy.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
You could always find a GT bumper in the junk yard, that would fit on your LX. Then you could have a place to fit the fog lamps, and all you´d have to do is run the wiring to a power source and to the cabin for a switch. i know aftermarket fog lamps could be fitted to an LX bumper but I don´t know how.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I took my stock gt ones off cuase they were yellowed and the bulbs exploded in them. I got a pair of small round pilots that have the 2 bulbs in them. Ones is green the other is a plain 55 watt bulb. Bright as a mother and look really good on the scort.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,867 Posts
I´m pretty sure you need even shorter(thinner?) lights than the ones on the GT. They do exist. I´ve seen some LXs around the street like that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have not measured the opening on an LX, but as usual, I have chosen my own route. The stock fogs on the GT are a poor excuse for lighting. They have 25 watt bulbs, plastic lens and plastic reflectors. I wanted to stick with the stock opening, and keep the OEM look. The best performance for the dollar that I could find was your basic replacement lights for late model Camaro´s (also Cutlass´s, and a few other GM products). The profile is almost identical to the stock fogs, the lens and reflector is glass, and you have the choice of either low beam, wide pattern (55 watt, I believe), or the high beam, driving pattern (65 watt, I believe).

Mounting them is the only hard part, and there are a number of methods. I chose to use the stock fog bracket, JB cold weld and assorted bolts and an open J-clip to make an identically adjustable system to stock. Since the stock system is so weak, it only uses the switch to control power, rather than a relay. With the thirstier bulbs, you really need to run a relay, not only to protect your wiring and switch, but to get maximum power to the lights, as well. After that, you will need to either buy the appropriate plug (or just solder) to connect to the lights, and you are done. The difference is amazing.

Since these lights are designed to operate a separate lows and separate highs on the Camaro (only one set is on at a time), they are more than adequate for standard lighting on their own. When used as auxilliary lighting to aid your existing headlights, their contribution is immediately noticeable. All of this for mere chump change. If you don´t want to shell out the buckage for new, just go the the salvage yard and pick up a few for nothing.

When using these with the BMW headlight units I installed, the night is MINE.

8 )

Marcus

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, the original idea was to get the gt lights, but replace the bulbs with something more powerful..

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can try that, but you may have trouble in two areas. The first problem is that, no matter how you slice it, the stock lens and reflectors are piss-poor. Even with higher wattage bulbs, I do not believe that the light pattern will not be very good. The second problem concerns the plastic construction. I am not sure that it will withstand the greater heat put out by the higher wattage bulbs.

If you choose this route, I would still recommend that you add a relay to the system to take the load off the switch.

Marcus

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, in that case: im up for any suggestions. like what brands/models does everyone suggest? websites would be a great help too. i just hope they will fit in the spacings already there in the bumper.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have verified that the stock GT foglights will NOT fit into the bumper openings on an LX. You will have to go with a slimline unit, or modify your bumper accordingly. I had the slim jobs on my 93 LX and they were only about 1" tall, but had 55W bulbs so they worked well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
16-01-2003 at 19:43, chieflogan wrote:
Go out and get blue line fog lights, they are brighter than than most other fog lights that i had on my scort. They also cost less than most fog lights out on the market. one last thing they look the best on the 2nd gen scorts. ;-)
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Where can I find them (both online and in stores)?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Never mind, i went impulse buying Friday night and bought some "HID Simulated" fog lamps for my car, i´ll prolly have to drill a few more holes or what not but I got sick of my yellow driving lamps.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what brand and model and cost and stuff?? im still looking for some aftermarket foglights and am up for ideas.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Guys.. fog lights are meant to extend about 15ft out in front of your car and are only for extreamly thick fog where you´re moving at 10mph. They´re usually just used to look cool.

If you want better nightime visibility, grab some high quality ´driving lamps´. I had some of the Hella 550s on my 320i for years.. and would put them on again if it still had a bumper ;) They´re made to shoot a beam of light down a road twice as long as your headlamps. Aim them well and you can use them against oncoming traffic, but I doubt you´ll feel the need to use your high beams ever again. Hella 550´s are just huge rectangular crystal clear lamps w/ 55watt h3 bulbs, they´d never fit in the openings of your facia unless you have one like sleeper´s lancer nose with the gaping openings ;)

Avoid blue lights like the plague unless that´s the ´look´ you´re going for. Blue light creates an unhealthy amount of glare which can be dangerous when you´re trying to read the road at high speed. White lights are good, better for your eyes over longer periods of time, and yellowish (standard) lights are best for clear vision in foul/rainy weather. Most ´Super Blue´ bulbs come under the white category. Only a few illegal bulbs actually fall under the blue light spectrum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts