FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm putting the flywheel back on and the manual says to use a pipe sealing compound with teflon? The bolt holes don't seem to go all the way through so I don't see why you would get oil leaking out the threads.

Wouldn't Loctite be better?? What do you guys use on the threads?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
214 Posts
TomsGT said:
Hi,
I'm putting the flywheel back on and the manual says to use a pipe sealing compound with teflon? The bolt holes don't seem to go all the way through so I don't see why you would get oil leaking out the threads.

Wouldn't Loctite be better?? What do you guys use on the threads?

Thanks, Tom
I always use loctite on my torque converters, in all my vehicles, regardless of make or model.

Even if the manuf. doesnt call for it, I just have more peace of mind knowing i dont have to worry about a nut coming loose and ripping everything to shreds. Even torqued properly, nuts can in theory still come lose. especially if you dont have the original nuts - mine got rounded when swapping my engine, and no one has specific "torque converter" nuts. I had to find some generic nuts that didnt have the same flange. no way i wasnt going to loctite those puppies.

As long as you arent going to be removing/swapping/working on things constantly, you shouldnt have much concern about the loctite being too tight.

If you are concerned about loctite red, just use blue instead. it still holds great and prevents walking, providing you are torqued properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is if the holes on the crankshaft go through to the oil pan. The 5.0l Mustang cranks are like this. If you don't use a thread sealer the oil will start leaking out the threads.

The 60's small block Ford cranks have blind holes and no oil can get in them and I always use Loctite.

I guess I'm going to do what the manual says....I don't want an oil leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!!

I already put them in with thread sealer paste........Like the manual says. Hopefully everything will be O.K.!

I could still take them back out I guess. I haven't put the tranny in yet. I had to do the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
therieldeal said:
you should be fine, its just a regular old 1.9 right?

i prefer the extra security of loctite since i'm regularly revving to 7200+ rpm with close to 400hp at the crank :p
Yeah this is a regular 1.9 in a young girls station wagon! There won't be any high revving thats for sure! :)

Thanks again for the info!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also always use loctite on flywheel bolts, but I see the point if they are open into the crankcase. In that case, I'd probably use thread seal tape on part of the threads, and a bit of loctite on another part. And, I put them in with an impact :shrug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts