FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.9L 2g specifically:

any min/max recommendations when it comes to how much to have a shop lighten the stock flywheel without grenading it?

has anybody had the crank lightened, balanced and polished? separately, or as part of an overall buildup? results?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
stock 1.9 crank is already pretty light.. i wouldnt worry about lightening it up at all, just balancing it.

about 7lbs can be taken off the stock 1.9s flywheel. you go too light on the drivetrain parts like these and the engine will never want to rev down and your throttle response may suffer from a lack of rotational mass to help move the momentum of the engine along.

as for how much the crank can be turned (which shouldnt need to be done if it hasnt spun a bearing) the shop should have specs on that.

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
I had about 3lbs taken off of the very out side ring on the 1.9 flywheel. Every one said it was gonna blow apart waawaawaaa.... as long as you dont mess with the center section you'll be ok. Take a look at the flywheel and you'll see the fat ring I'm talking about. I'm going on about 2 year's now with a light'ned stock flywheel.
This is on my 96lx hybrid, not my turbo pony. I dont think I'd want to lighten that one.
But I like it, makes a nice N/A mod. First gear is nut's and 2nd ant bad either.

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
publikdstrbnce said:
any opinions on the unorthodox racing 7lb flywheel??? im gonna buy it through my work because i get it cheaper. Anyone know the actual weight of a 1.9l flywheel??
it's been a while since I had a stock flywheel on the scale, but if I remember right it's about 20lbs.

My advice, dont by a after market flywheel. Two reason's A: $300-400+ is way too much to spend for what you'll get out of it. And B: 7lbs total is waaayy to light, drivability would be rediculas. I would'nt want to go much lower then 3lbs off of stock. (that's 3lbs off of the out side of the flywheel were it really matters.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts