FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone was curious what the floorpan looks like without the carpet. I'm currently replacing the carpet. Unfortunately I also found out my clutch slave master is leaking so before I install the new carpet I need to replace the clutch slave master.

Also, ZX2 seat belts won't fit in the wagon. They mount differently and won't seat correctly. Since I'm trying to do a color change I wanted the belts and accompanying hardware to also be black and these are the closest to black I was able to get with standard OEM equipment. I may try and remove the belt cartridges and install them in the original wagon assemblies but I'm pretty busy so time is limited in regards to taking on a project like this.

John

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Neat! Is that a third generation? The fuel pump access cover looks a bit different from my second generation, but it could be the angle of the photo.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are you doing any soundproofing too? I had my carpet out last year, but didn't add any additional soundproofing. I think most of the engine noise is coming through the firewall and windshield anway. The 2nd gens had a hood blanket, which the 3rd gens don't....probably accounting for the added noise of the 3rd gen. When I pull my dash, I will be doing all I can to cut down the noise. I plan to do the hood too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That fuel pump cover is different from the 2nd gen, you are correct.

I did this to mine, but I'm not sure how effective it was. I also have a hole in my rocker too, which accounts for some noise.
20200201_162646[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neat! Is that a third generation? The fuel pump access cover looks a bit different from my second generation, but it could be the angle of the photo.
Yes, 3rd gen. From Itchigo's photo the cover does look a little different although actual access looks pretty much the same.

Are you doing any soundproofing too? I had my carpet out last year, but didn't add any additional soundproofing. I think most of the engine noise is coming through the firewall and windshield anway. The 2nd gens had a hood blanket, which the 3rd gens don't....probably accounting for the added noise of the 3rd gen. When I pull my dash, I will be doing all I can to cut down the noise. I plan to do the hood too.
Yes. Sometime ago when I bought the carpet kit I also bought some soundproofing material so I'll be taking advantage and covering the floor and firewall with it. I may use some of the old pad in the footwell for some extra soundproofing since a lot of the engine noise comes through the firewall as you mentioned.

John

·
Registered
383 Posts
Access is the same but don't forget the 3rd gens have metal tanks, not plastic.

Uncovered pic.
20200201_135744[1].jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
97's have plastic tanks, 98-03 have metal tanks. Fuel pump, EVAP system, lines, and and filler neck are also different between those years.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The switch supposedly occurred when they switched to the return-less style fuel system, which was the 98 model year. If you ended up with a 98 that has the return line style fuel system or a plastic tank with the return-less system then that's really odd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts