FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What's the point? Does the trunk remain level thoughout its swinging travel?

I personally like the linkages used in the stock jetta/golfs. The trunk lid is actually a two bar linkage system, so it doesn't sweep out the area that a normal trunk lid with a single pivot would. The result is a trunk lid that can open in a much smaller area. I personally think that that would be a much cooler mod. No offense, just being practical.

In more funny terms... I think that a "suicide" trunk lid would be rice-a-riffic. Why would you want a trunk lid that opens toward the person? Instead, put the pivot point at the bottom, by the license plate. It would be the coolest thing evar.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flip trunk

The mod cost a pricey $5 :lol: The trunk operates just like normal for every day use right now but can flip down for shows. I am looking at ways to improve on it. I would like to work out a motorized lift system but I also want to keep it simple. It really is so simple of a mod that it is laughable that some places charge $200 for the kit. I wouldnt want my trunk to flip like that all the time as it makes it harder to access the trunk but once I get a new sub and amp setup in the trunk it will look cool. At least I think so and that is what really matters :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
suicide trunk

If someone does a suicide trunk where it opens the wrong way they should mount a BBQ to it so it has some use. :twisted:

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I think it looks pretty good! and ur right.. if you think it does, that's all that matters!

·
Registered
996 Posts
HA! I did that mod to my car...same price. The only problem I had was that it did not stay level when it was flipped down. It would swing down and the latch would rest on my window. I got two pieces of chain and made them support it, but mine is a crappy job, but it works. The seams also dont match up anymore.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
flip side

did you put a spacer in there along with the hinge? That is the same hinge I have. I let the area where the lower bolt goes to sit a little loose so that the trunk gasket does the alignment for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts