FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, gas tank leaks. Did a few searches, but didn't find anything that really helped me, all threads with pics had broken links, and I'm a very visual person. Is the part in question here?

If someone can point out the part to me I'll make a how-to to be moved into the correct forum as this seems to be a common problem, and the pics will last as long as my photobucket acct does!

You can see some of the damage does to the rubber type material to the right, and it's also started soaking into the seat foam. I found a receipt under it from what looks to be from a shop that replaced the seat bottom, I'll take a pic as it looks a lot better than the one I found in the LX I used to have.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Filled the tank up again, and here is what I found...

Pretty sure that verifies that it is this. Is there a gasket under the lock ring? Or should I just coat the outside with a good seal of gasket maker? I have a lot of Toyota FIPG left over from when I had the Supras and it's some heavy duty stuff that I think could handle gasoline.

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly the part I thought it was, thanks!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
yes u need to use a new rubber gasket under the locking right..

silicone gasket maker stuff doenst work as mine still leaks and i used an entire tube..

ur lucky u have no rust.. all the metal under the locking ring thats on the tank is rusted away and i need to replace the whole tank to get it to stop leaking..

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EGTERIC said:
ur lucky u have no rust.. all the metal under the locking ring thats on the tank is rusted away and i need to replace the whole tank to get it to stop leaking..
That's what I love about living in the PacNW. I don't think there is a spot of rust on the entire car. I bought the part listed from summitracing, 13$ shipped. hoping to have it in the next couple days so I can get that fixed, fumes in the car == blech, can't leave the rear windows popped out ALL the time, it has to rain sometime.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Lucky it's just the gasket. I had a boken line on the return side and had to replace the whole pump assembly.
The fumes were bad after a while.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, so after getting under there again, take a closer look at the pics. There was some "repair" work done on the line with the white retaining clip. You can see it at the base of the hardline, it kind of discolored. Does this mean I have to replace the whole thing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts