FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idle is running at about 1200 rpm and it jumps up to about 1350 and then back down to 1200 rpm and, it idles a little rough when it is first started and cold. Does the vam need adjusted?? and how do you adjust it??

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Well... I can tell you from experience on my RX-7 that ignition makes a huge difference in idle and performance under load. If you car has trouble igniting the charge fully, it will miss a fire, then catch back up, then the engine starts to flood up on the next one... then it's lean on the next... it's just a huge pain in the butt.

The first thing you should do is check your plug gap and the plug condition. It never hurts to replace your wires too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
White88GT said:
The idle is running at about 1200 rpm and it jumps up to about 1350 and then back down to 1200 rpm and, it idles a little rough when it is first started and cold. Does the vam need adjusted?? and how do you adjust it??
MY 88 does the same thing and ive tried allot of stuff
im still looking into it so if i find somthing ill post it

·
Registered
709 Posts
The IAC is the idle air control valve. To find it, look for the part bolted onto the side of the throttle body right by the throttle plate. It acts as a bypass when the throttle is closed(at idle) take it off and you can go nuts with some barsol or any good solvent. The IAC on the 300 inline 6 ford used forever was really bad about this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pcv valve was really clogged so I replaced it along with the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I cleaned out the IAC with carb cleaner and it seamed to help a little bit. Now the car is smoking white smoke really bad for some reason. There was no antifreeze in the water when I changed it. Could it be that the piston rings are fried??? It also makes a loud squealing noise from the belts when it is first started up cold. Could that need tightened up and would that fix the problem??

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
White88GT said:
There was no antifreeze in the water when I changed it.
I replied to your other post, but this statement bothers me a lot. What do you mean? Do you mean there was just water in the entire coolant system (ie (100% water, 0% antifreeze)? I'd be really worried if someone did this. Chances are they didn't even use demin/distilled water, in which case your engine's days are numbered.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
White88GT said:
There was no antifreeze in the water when I changed it.
I meant oil. I am starting to think that there actually was and I didn't see it coming out. I'll have to dump the old oil into something else tomorrow and check it. Will it float on the top or how do you tell???

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Normally, coolant gets in the oil as opposed to vice versa (my truck, however, went the other way).

If you get coolant in your oil - it is unmistakable. Your oil will look like chocolate milk or a chocolate milkshake. Don't be fooled into drinking it though...it's not very tasty.

Oil in the coolant will end up in the overflow reservoir and will separate out and float on the coolant.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you see bubbles on your dipstick it also means there is coolant in your oil.

My XR3 blew white smoke pretty bad by the time I parked it without any signs in the oil however. The head was cracked in 3 places.

The blue car showed coolant in the oil with a blown head gasket, and no white smoke.

The 86 did nothing but lose coolant and the gasket finally went enough to seep out coolant.

They never like to make it easy on us, do they? :?

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
803 Posts
Head gaskets give me a headache. That's what I'm fighting with on my Scort. The machine shop called me and said my head was cracked on the camshaft journal. Had to buy a whole rebuilt head. DAMN!! :evil:

·
Registered
657 Posts
highanddry said:
Diane:

You must drive the snot out of your vehicles. You've blown more head gaskets than anyone I know.
I blew one.

The 86 came that way, it lost coolant from the time I got it. I just didn't know where the problem was till we found the seepage early this year.

The XR3 had a cracked head when I got it as well, though possibly not in 3 places. I put 15K on it that way. I know the original owner, he fessed up when I told him I parked it. No biggie, it was a free car, I hadn't intended to drive it! :)

The race car has been fine so far <knock on wood>

Cracked heads and blown gaskets are kind of a known issue with these cars, I consider myself pretty fortunate considering the years I've been driving them (since 1987) and the miles I've accumulated.

Personally I'd rather go through heads and gaskets rather than trannys (0), motors (0) and clutches (1) the way some here do. ;) I do race them, remember?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts