FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i bought car previous owner told me it dont work because it was leaking somewhere... i intended to fix it myself so please give me info on where can i start what i need to check first and and how i make sure it works.

P.S. I never dealt with AC's before.

· Registered
385 Posts
There isn't a lot you can do to an air conditioning system without specialized service equipment. Anything other than topping up with a can or two of R134a is best left to the pros..

You can do a cursory inspection by looking at all the lines and components.. If there is a fairly big leak, you will see oil staining the area of the leak. Pro shops will sometimes put an ultraviolet dye in the line. Then they put it under pressure and inspect the system with an ultraviolet lamp. Wherever the system is leaking will glow in the dark when you shine the light on the dye that leaked out.

If your compressor is leaking, you'll need specialized pullers and tools etc to rebuild it. (Although you could replace it with a rebuilt or a used one).

Note that when you replace anything, the system has to be opened to the atmosphere. This lets air and water vapor in.. Before you refill the system, you NEED to put a high vacuum on it for about 1/2 hour to suck out the air and water vapor that got in. You need a vacuum pump for this.

And finally, you have to attach gauges to the high and low pressure ports to make sure you have enough of a charge and there are no obstructions inside the system. There's a good article explaining how to using the gauges at this link: http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/82/

· Registered
4,509 Posts
The first thing to do is verify that the system is low on freon. If the freon isn't low there's a chance it's the a/c relay inside the CCRM has gone bad or a bad pressure switch. If the freon is low then the prevoius owner is probably correct about a leak. If you know how to contact the previous owner you could check with them to see if they actually had the system checked or if they just assumed it was leaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.