FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm test driving a 2003 Vivid Yellow Mazda P5 today. I was checking on the engine and it's got a 2.0 liter four making 130 hp @ 6000. Just kinda struck me funny, I mean the 1.8BP GT has 127 hp @ something like 6500. You'd think the slightly larger displacement would translate into higher power. I realize that torque is up to 135 @ 4500. The Suzuki Reno concept has a 2.0 4 making 126 ponies.

You think there's some hidden power in there??? I'd love to thrown on a turbo kit from the MSP.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd bet there is man. The thing is,top hp wasn't their goal, they were turning for torque and drivability.

When people who are used to driving a Honda built car like my Si, they'll look at a car like that or the 2.2 ecotec cavalier, they think 140 hp from a 2.2L? that's pathetic! That just means they have no brain...because they don't realize it puts down 150 ft lbs of torque and redlines at like 6000 rpm instead of 183893893030 rpm. lol

That slightly extra displacement did infact translate to more power, 21 more foot pounds of it. That makes the difference. :wink:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well I drove it and it was a lot of fun. The engine however was seriously underwhelming. Yes, it makes more torque. Unfortunately, the car is also heavier. So the power gain went unnoticed. I really dug the chassis, interior, suspension, the ride was great. But if I had one, the engine would have to undergo some serious modding. Which would happen anyway...

Got back in my GT and just felt quicker. I can rev higher, faster, and scoot through traffic quicker than the MP5. I'm sure the intake/header/exhaust helps.

Going to try a Matrix XRS this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.