FEOA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy relisted this thing on ebay weekly for $150 BIN I think since the start of this year. I know he spent a ton in relisting fees, and finally dropped the price. I jumped on it for $50 best offer plus $14 shipping. Hopefully it is a genuine Ford old stock carb like he says, and not another junk United rebuilt. I've been running one I bought last year that ended up being a 1.6 carb, and I've never been able to get a good idle. So I'll switch out my old jets and tubes and see if this new one does the trick. Im happy because the 1.9 carbs are hard to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... tsupported

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UnexplodedCow said:
Why not use a 1.6 carb? It should be the same type as the 1.9.
That's my problem now, I'm running a 1.6 with my 1.9 jets and tubes and I've never been able to get a good idle. It was a bad rebuild, and the off-idle ports are gouged, and the idle screw never fit tightly. And the venturi leaks at idle; I'm not sure if the 1.6 and 1.9 use different venturis, and if they do it's too hard to unstake them anyway. If this dedicated 1.9 works right, then I know the carb was the problem.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update to the title: I finally got...someone else's carb. The guy sent me a 1.6. Hopefully he makes it reight, and pays for the return shipping. But based on his not-fantastic feedback, I may be in for an adventure. Like Han said to Chewy, "Ive got a baaad feeling about this."

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugggh, he told me to return it, and I would get a refund, which isn't what I want. He's also pulled his current 1.9 carb listing, whic probably means that he's a total screwup and never had any to begin with. My problem now is the jackass likely won't refund my $15 return shipping, so I'll be out $15 with nothing to show.

Before I do that, does anyone here need an(apparently) new factory Ford 1.6 carb? It has a new choke and idle down dashpot installed. I have $65 in it.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Have you tried using 1.6 jets for the 1.9? They really shouldn't be that different. That's not a bad price for an (apparently) new carb, especially with the choke and dashpot on it already. Maybe try using the carb and seeing if it works. I'm pretty sure the carbs are the same models between the years.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if they're cross compatible. Even if you switch jets and tubes, I'm not sure the venturis are the same. The basic carb body appears identical, but I tossed my old 1.9 so Ican't compare. Little things like idle ports could be different. The 1.9 had one choke plate, while the 1.6 has two for some reason.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
The single plate is probably easier to operate vs. 2..but having 2 might make for better performance. I'll be looking around my place some more for hidden parts, and will take some pictures of that carb.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update, just for hilarity's sake. The ebay seller that sent me the wrong part is being a colossal turd. It's been a week and a half trying to get satisfaction from the guy. He emailed me last week telling me to call their long distance number to set up a pickup. It was busy (or down) last week, and I finally got through today. Talked to the girl (there's always a nice friendly female taking the phone calls for screwups like this), and she wouldn't OK it. She took my number and said that the dude will call me back later (HAHAHAHAHAHA!).

I sell on my own eBay & Amazon storefronts and I would never in a million years treat any of my customers this way. Needless to say I recommend never buying from this assclown.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probelm there is that I have to send it back to receive a refund, and will not be reimbursed for the return shipping fee. He never called me back of course, so I'm keeping it. I wonder if his local Texas sherriff's dept has a website, and if so, what is the minimum $ amount for filing a mail fraud claim. Probably more than $50.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't big, and I do have a decent carb for $65. But it really eats me up to be lied to by someone repeatedly. You know how you get bad vibes from people, just by the way they carry themselves and comunicate? I knew from the start he had no intention of making this right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts