FEOA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it's that time again. Time to have my car inspected. Time to have those brakes worked on. And time, according to my dad, to have my weak arse struts replaced with something better. So what are the best struts to get for a '97 LX Sport? (Third gen, of course). I can have /anything/ I want to get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on the strut situation: We sent it into the mechanic and he said the rear springs needed to be replaced ASAP because they were broken. So I am apparently getting new rear springs and new struts. Must be my lucky day. Anyways, any idea what might break a set of springs? I went over a bump real hard, like once, that bottomed the car out and made me and my friend hit our heads on the cieling. But that was more than a year ago and the car has been in the mechanic's since then but before now they never said anything about it. And it was at the same place. Can hard driving kill springs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
coyote-x said:
Update on the strut situation: We sent it into the mechanic and he said the rear springs needed to be replaced ASAP because they were broken. So I am apparently getting new rear springs and new struts. Must be my lucky day. Anyways, any idea what might break a set of springs? I went over a bump real hard, like once, that bottomed the car out and made me and my friend hit our heads on the cieling. But that was more than a year ago and the car has been in the mechanic's since then but before now they never said anything about it. And it was at the same place. Can hard driving kill springs?
well my personal choice(which was what i bought) i got kyb gr2 gas struts from nopi because they were cheapest i found. and i bought the eibach pro spring kit...i havent had time to install them yet, but i am expecting a good match....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
one good smash can put a crack in a spring, and if it is left in the car, the crack can become a break over time. Maybe your mechanic wasn't looking at your rear springs before, it could have been overlooked...
If you are going to get 4 new struts and you have 2 broken springs, you might as well replace the other two springs as well. The question you have to ask yourself is this:
Do you want the car to handle/ride like new (stock)?
Or do you want to improve the handling of the car (stiffer & lower than stock)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better than stock, of course, but my dad doesn't want it lowered because we sometimes have to use it to drive long distances. It is my car, but it is the family's only sedan and when we can't borrow my grandparents' Sable we have to use it. So, I will be getting springs with the normal ride height but sporty struts. (Which I hear also make the ride worse but hey...) If I could convince my dad to go with lowering ones I would do it but I think that he doesn't want to pay for replacing the front ones if they don't absolutely need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
My rear springs have been broken for a year and a half (at least... they were when I bought the car...) Anyway, i got KYB Gr2 and suspension tech lowering springs. Still need to put em on, but I need another car before I can do it because I can't drive to work with no suspension. :p

Good luck with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
James92Scort said:
My rear springs have been broken for a year and a half (at least... they were when I bought the car...) Anyway, i got KYB Gr2 and suspension tech lowering springs. Still need to put em on, but I need another car before I can do it because I can't drive to work with no suspension. :p

Good luck with it.
sigh....here it comes...

James, quit being a PUSSY and sit your ass down on a day off and just DO IT...ITs not gonna take like a week to do it...I think you are just looking for an excuse to get a new damn car.

You are a man, and so far i've seen a mechanically inclined man...DOOOO ITTT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
92gt5spd said:
James92Scort said:
My rear springs have been broken for a year and a half (at least... they were when I bought the car...) Anyway, i got KYB Gr2 and suspension tech lowering springs. Still need to put em on, but I need another car before I can do it because I can't drive to work with no suspension. :p

Good luck with it.
sigh....here it comes...

James, quit being a **** and sit your ass down on a day off and just DO IT...ITs not gonna take like a week to do it...I think you are just looking for an excuse to get a new damn car.

You are a man, and so far i've seen a mechanically inclined man...DOOOO ITTT
There in lies the problem 92... I DON'T HAVE ANY DAYS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know how many times I've said that. :?

If I was looking for an excuse to get a new damn car, I'd have a new damn car from JDByrider (rip off, even though I got approved) or if I had the time to get a loan I'd have my second car. I have NO time during the week to do ANYTHING, and guess what...my bank is NOT open on the weekends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
forgot to mention - I'm not as mechanically inclined about Suspension as you think I am. I have no clue how to do this. Besides I think my tie rods are weak, my cv joint (I think it is) clicks when I brake and I don't like to f**k things up. since I won't be able to just get in and drive it to a shop if I do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
well then...if u have no free time...hehe then how do you suppose that suspension is gonna get fixed with or without a new car.. :wink: just being stupid...


B.T.W --I didnt know that u had said that u had no days off. If i had read it, i wouldnt have posted that... I just thought u were being a little B*tch about it....So sorry if i flustered you.

::bows:: :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
92gt5spd said:
well then...if u have no free time...hehe then how do you suppose that suspension is gonna get fixed with or without a new car.. :wink: just being stupid...

B.T.W --I didnt know that u had said that u had no days off. If i had read it, i wouldnt have posted that... I just thought u were being a little B*tch about it....So sorry if i flustered you.

::bows:: :wink:
Well when I get a second car, then I can possibly re-do the suspension after 5 pm on my 3 days off of my other job. (mondays, tuesdays, thursdays). And I can also do it on saturday and sunday before 3 (not likely though.) Anyway, I need the second car to make runs if i need something for the suspension job. That way I won't have to borrow a car to go to work. :)

You didn't fluster me. I just thought I'd make sure you saw the reason :p :wink:

btw...your avatar is a bit big there. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
Willum said:
You seem to have enough time to have over 3000 posts.... :roll:

Well just do one at a time..
Or just do the fornt then the back, you gotta have at least 2-4 hours free one day of the week.
I've also been around longer than you. FYI. I'm selling the car, so I'm not doing anything to it anymore.

BUT...to shoot down your waste of a post, I work 7 days a week. When I post is normally just after and before work & at 11 pm when I'm about to go to bed. When I had time I didn't have the struts yet. Is that good enough for you? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
I've also been around longer than you. FYI.
On feoa yes, ive been a member on ERDT way back when they had 200 members and on the ezboards with pop ups and ads everywhere. But theres always time to work on the escort! :) And I give you alot of credit for working 7 days a week, i know i couldnt work all week. I didnt mean tto come around as a jerk, it was a joke but i put the wrong smilie :roll: = :lol: [/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
yeah!

i have the kyb gr2 on my car! and the intrax springs casue they will drop 1.75 inches , to miuch lower and camber and alighmewnt is a problem! been a good right i never have a problem, but i havent drivin for linger than 2 hours in it! but still i am comfortable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
Ok so you have been around erdt for a while. Everyone here knows what I think of those admins and moderators. That's a good board, I know I was there for 8 whopping days and I had a lot of posts where I just saw a question that hadn't been answered to any sort of satisfaction, so I answered it. I think I had 197 posts in 8 days and the admins didn't like that I was helping people out.

So I got banned. IMO unless you only post once per day, stay away from that dictatorship.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top