FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a loud exhaust type noise at low RPM a few days ago. I just crawled under the front end this evening and found that my header is cracked where it bends to go under the engine. It looks like it's only one of the two pipes before it molds into the single pipe. It also appears to be about 1/3 to 1/2 way around the circumference of the pipe. I'm not too mad from a price/warranty standpoint, because it was given to me for free. However, my state inspection is due at the end of this month and I can't have an exhaust leak.

So...

1) Get it welded and move on?
2) Replace it with a new one?
3) If 2, then suggestions on a brand/model/price/location?

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful advice I KNOW this post will generate ;-)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, it's gotten worse.
looks loke the crack is most if not all the way around the one tube.
i'm gonna see someone wednesday about getting it welded. if it won't work, i'm gonna talk the wife into letting me order the blue armour coated Pacesetter.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zzyzzx-

i know i could do it myself, but i doubt i'd find anything but a standard exhaust manifold at a junkyard, NOT a 4-2-1 header as i have right now.

anyway-
this afternoon i drove to a small auto repair shop about 1/2 hour from my house. they welded it in about 3 minutes for $10!! SWEET!!!

more good news...on the way to that shop, i drove past a powder-coating place. on my way home. i stopped in to check on bead blasting. i'm dropping off 1 of my sets of rims tomorrow morning to have them bead-blasted so i can paint them. they said at most it would run $20/rim, but he the guy doesn't even think it will be that much. i'm painting this set with a gold-anodized look (think Subaru WRC gold rims) on the face with gloss black in the drop center area, to be used most likely with gravel-style ralley tires (or 4 studded snows). i'll do my other set in white for my regular snows (they will powder coat for $65/rim).

all said and done, i'll have three sets of rims ready to go for ANY condition!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.