Discussion Starter · #2 ·
are there even any options at all? im not finding much

i found that clutchmasters makes a 1.9 flywheel

what can I do here?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why does it list for screwy years and a mazda? do you know for sure its the right one? and im assuming thats a generic pic or is that of a gt flywheel? are gt flywheels stepped?

also what would you reccomend for a clutch? I had a spec in my white car, and I liked the fact that they did a lightening on the pressure plate

are there any adverse effects to this

I like 379.... its alot cheaper than what I was seeing for the 1.9 heh

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Other sites list that part number for a Ford Probe, Mazda MX6/626, and 2001-2005 Protege, all 2.0L.
I think you can use the ZX2 flywheel if you use the zx2 flywheel bolts and maybe the starter.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the 1.9 clutch and flywheel is different from the 2.0, but do any parts interchange? and can you use a 1.9 flywheel and pressure plate with a 2.0 disc? or are the g and m series trans splined the same on the input shaft?

I found a fidanza for the 1.9 for 319 but I dont think that does me much good....

·
Registered
457 Posts
ultrarev.com this is where I had gotten my clutch and fidanza flywheel

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Any 1.9 flywheel will bolt to the SPI. The problem comes from the 1.9 flywheel being a smaller diameter. The SPI trans has a larger bell housing and the starter gear won't make contact with the flywheel.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nemo do you have a spi trans tho? that is the site I found the flywheel on but its for the 1.9 if you have a 2.0 trans then its just a matter of me calling them and finding out, unless you have part numbers handy

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im pretty sure zx2 one is worthless, I think something needed redrilled... maybe the flywheel bolts?

clutch and input shaft would be right tho

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so what I have found is that spi and zetec clutches are identical

and that zetec flywheels have larger holes on the same pattern

so now..... are zetec flywheel bolts larger or stepped?

and if the clutches are identical Id imagine that the flywheels are the same diameter, seeing as how the bellhousings are the same size. which would make sense that you could use an spi starter. any more input?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Everyone that does the Zetec swap seems to think you have to use the Zetec starter.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
madmatt2024 said:
Everyone that does the Zetec swap seems to think you have to use the Zetec starter.
My buddy just put an SPI tranny into a ZX2, used the ZX2 flywheel, clutch, and starter. I believe he either had to tap a hole or two, or drill them out to get the ZX2 starter to work with the SPI tranny. The car starts and runs just fine though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts