FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a seperate thread going about my '91 LX 1.9L that flooded really severely, idles poorly, and sucks gas.

I retrieved the fault codes by jumping the EEC terminals and recording the CEL blinks with the engine off/key on. I found it a bit difficult to ascertain precisely where one code ended and the next began, so I'm not sure if the codes I got should be split up this way or not:

These make any sense to anyone?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Brother, I'm gonna try to help, because I too have a 91 LX and you were the first and only to recognize the obvious radiohead references.

Why did you only do the Key On Engine Off test? I don't think you got all the codes right - they should have been spat out in numerical sequence and then repeated.

124 : this code is not correct for your car or for the KOEO test. Can't help here.

24 : Air Charge Temperature sensor out of range. Check to ensure it's properly connected. You likely have a a short in your IAT sensor. Replace it - it threads right into your air filter housing adjacent to the upper rad hose. Easy to do yourself - nothing could be easier.

166 : this code is not correct for your car or for the KOEO test. Can't help here.

95 : Fuel Pump secondary failure. Your pump works, but it is likely not getting sufficient voltage. You may have rusty connection(s). Dealing with fuel pumps is never fun or easy. On our car, though it is not too bad.

66 : I suspect your 166 earlier was really this code, but you should not have gotten this code during a KOEO test, so I'm a bit confused. Indicates the MAF sensor circuit is below expected voltage. I'd leave this one alone for now, since you should not have received this code (maybe a misread).

95 : see above.

In the end, I think you only got three codes: 24, 95 and one other. I'd deal with your IAT sensor first. Then run the car and see if anything improves and get codes again. Don't use the shotgun apporach of trying to fix multiple things at once.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Highanddray...

The fuel pump codes make sense, as I had been messing with the pump a few days ago and was turning over the engine with the pump disconnected.

Could that air temp sensor effect fuel metering? I know which one you're talking about, and yeah, it looks easy to replace. I'll do that and post back. Thanks again...

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Yes, the IAT affects your fuel mixture - your ECU is being fooled. Replace it first. I think you'll notice significant improvement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to clear the codes, run the engine, and do the test again.

Will removing the jumper wire while the ignition is on clear the codes?

It suddenly occurs to me that I may have had the engine running with that IAT sensor disconnected at some point in the last few days, which I would assume could give me that code.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I think it has to be disconnected for 10 or 30 mins or something though....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts