FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does your temp gauge stay when the car is running at a stop? Mine likes to go to the "L" in "Normal"....it seems my fan doesnt like to kick on until then...so i leave the A/C on all the time and this keeps the fan on and the car cool.....does ford have a problem with fan temp switches or where should I look?

93 wagon

· Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, crappy coolant can really kill the efficiency of your cooling system. If you've got oil mixing in with the antifreeze, you're going to get screwed.

Speaking of coolants, has anybody tried NPG+ coolant in their radiators? It looks pretty neat, it's got a 375 degree boiling point and doesn't rely on pressure to increase boiling point either, so you buy a zero PSI radiator cap and it just flows through, utilizing the extra coolant in the reservoir too.[/url]

· Registered
2,263 Posts
i have heard of that before but pushing 25 bucks for 1 container (i cannot think off the top of my head how much is in them) also the fact that you cannot mix water or antifreeze with it so if you burst a line your screwed unless you have 25 bucks worth of that stuff in your trunk. i have heard it does super good though

· Registered
209 Posts
It runs on zero pressure, so you won't ever break a hose. . .

I know I've spent over $25 total on coolant, even more replacing hoses. If it ran at negligible pressure, you wouldn't get any of that, and your engine would stay cooler because it would use the coolant in the reservoir tank as well as the coolant in the radiator.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont think it is a thermostat problem, because it wouldnt cool down when the fan came on...because the thermostat would not be opening all the way if it was defective. I think it is the fan not kicking on early enough...it does fine when you are moving...because the fan doesnt need to be on.....anyone else have this?

· Registered
493 Posts
well I had the same problem in the dead of summer! it was always HOT and I hated it so first I put in a manual switch it made it a bit better but then on the highway at like 120 it was always up at the L or past! so I got fed up and put out the $$ for a new radiator! and I took her out for a test drive at 140 for about 5 min straight and it never went past the middle! so just fork out the $$ for a new rad and problem solved! 8)

· Registered
6,262 Posts
team_lethal said:
i dont think it is a thermostat problem, because it wouldnt cool down when the fan came on...because the thermostat would not be opening all the way if it was defective. I think it is the fan not kicking on early enough...it does fine when you are moving...because the fan doesnt need to be on.....anyone else have this?
i had this problem too..

OK... so does it get hot when idling, or like traffic times?? but cools hen u go fast?? if so..
(thuis is on my gt)

there's the line that goes in the top of the coolant reservoir... the line that sucks coolant back into the rad.. well, in the tank, there's a plastic tube that goes down to the bototm of the tank. Mine broke off, so when it sucked 'coolan't back into the rad, the tube was gone, so it sucked air, and it wouldn't cool.. i opened it uyp, superglued it back together, and it worls pretty well now. the highest i get is M... i used to be extremely close to the red line...

· Registered
770 Posts
I had an overheating problem a while back. The temp gauge would start inching up after 60 mph (100 kph). I changed the thermostat, hoses, radiator, new fluids, etc. Turns out it was the radiator cap that wasn't keeping it's pressure. $6.00 would have done it. Now it's the first thing I change.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
xSwiggerx said:
Yeah, crappy coolant can really kill the efficiency of your cooling system. If you've got oil mixing in with the antifreeze, you're going to get screwed.

Speaking of coolants, has anybody tried NPG+ coolant in their radiators? It looks pretty neat, it's got a 375 degree boiling point and doesn't rely on pressure to increase boiling point either, so you buy a zero PSI radiator cap and it just flows through, utilizing the extra coolant in the reservoir too.[/url]
Sound neat but I don't think it's worth it. You don't need positive psi to have a hose come loose or crack and leak. If it did you would have to have some of that stuff because you couldn't just use water to get you home. I dunno, my coolant keeps the car plenty cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.