FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got this car 2 years ago the check engine light has been on and off and I have not had luck finding the problem.
About 10 seconds after startup the light comes on and stays on.

The car passed the loaded test just at the limits.

At Idle the HC and CO are about 5x the limit.

Doing a KOER test I get 173 (O2 sensor rich)

When idling i can see the system is switching between open and closed loop.

Also, another symptom i am having is when you just hit the gas off idle the engine has a severe hesitation.

I have done the following:
- reconnected the vacuum lines that fell off (evap canister)
- fixed the pcv, hose was collapsing.
- tested fuel pressure regulator - working fine.

The only thing i can think of is the timing belt is off by a tooth. any suggestions?

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Replace the O2 sensor. When they go bad they read full rich and the ECU goes full rich to be safe, which would give you the O2 rich code. The hesitation could be from running overly rich as well. I would recommend a universal O2 as they are usually a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. I am going to check the timing belt this weekend and if all is good i will change the o2 sensor. do the universal heated o2 sensors have the same connectors?

Richard

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
I agree with changing the O2 sensor if you have'nt in the last 60k.

Is the EGR functioning correctly?

You could aslo have a leaky injector. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge, then run the car and shut it off, the fuel pressure should stay at around 30psi after the car is shut off.

A fresh timing belt cant hurt, you dont have to worry about being stranded if you replace it now.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Somed00d said:
do the universal heated o2 sensors have the same connectors?

Richard
Yeah, they have the same 4 wires, but no connector. You just splice your old wires into it. You save the money from not buying the connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O2 sensor has been awhile. I am over 300k....
as for EGR, there is no egr on this perticular car. I presume it was not equipped from the factory (vacuum diagram dosn't show one).

Did the leaky fuel injector test. No problem there.

I will let you guys know my results after the weekend. Still have 2 more weeks to pass the smog test..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts