FEOA Forums banner

Exhaust

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  pballer98c 
#1 ·
Ok so i went to my local menike(i know thats not how you spell it) and i was seeing how much exhaust would run me he said about 375-450 depending on what i get. does this sound right? it was also with one of there "high performance" mufflers. the guy was clearly more into the sound it makes not how much power i would get. so what should i do? i also heard a few times that pacesetter isnt good is that true?

#5 ·
Minekie (whatever) isn´t interested in making your car faster.. or sound better, they´re interested in their incredible profit margin. Find a performance shop where the mechanics drive some fast customized cars. Then tell them you want a custom performance mandrel bent setup and ask for prices depending on different types of metal (aluminized steel, mild steel, and stainless steel). Also tell them what kind of sound you want, they should know enough to pick an appropriate muffler for you. You may want to install a hi-flow racing catalytic converter if you´re in a place where cats are required... I think they cost you anywhere from 0.5-2hp.. a small price for less hassle and cleaner air.

#8 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
05-03-2003 at 16:39, BlackMx-3 wrote:
performance exhaust on a small modern car is almost pointless, for anything other than the sound, unless you drastically change something on the engine like a turbo or a naturally adpired monster. It´s all about the sound. ;-)
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Didn´t you just basically contradict yourself within that single comma-ridden sentence?! Maybe he wants to get a custom exhaust done so that later when he turbos or does some more mods he doesn´t have his stock exhaust choking his engine off.

I can think of two small cars, although turbocharged, that could benefit drastically from a custom exhaust; One being the WRX. This particular supercar has THREE Cat. converters on it. SCC decided they didn´t like that and found like 4 diff exhaust systems to put on it, each reducing the amount of cats by one until they found the best exhaust w/ one cat converter and a single high flow muffler. I forget the power they gained from this setup (legally even) but I´d have to search for the magazine with the article in it.

The other car being the new SRT-4. This car has a 4-2-1 header into a single pipe where it then splits into two separate pipes...with a resonator on each side and then a straight through pipe at the end of the car. thats right I never said anything about a muffler. Thats good for 223 WHEEL HP and 250 WHEEL lb ft torque. And thats Factory...I´d love to copy this set up when I get my car turbocharged.
I plan on a custom set up before I turbo but I don´t care about the "sound" of it seeing as how I´m planning on a twin 10" sub set-up anyway. :)

#9 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
05-03-2003 at 17:19, James92Scort wrote:
Thats good for 223 WHEEL HP and 250 WHEEL lb ft torque.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

That´s wheely good!! :)

yeah I need a nex exhaust because my cat went bad and the rest of the system is a rusted piece of shit, and then on top of that, the moron who worked on my car destroyed my brand new o2 sensor and also destroyed my exhaust manifold.

I want mine loud and throaty.

#12 ·
It´s a magna flow "style" one. in other words same design different name. I´m waiting for magnaflow to get back to me on becoming a dealer. If nothing I´ll buy it retail if you really want the brand name

P.S. those that sent me a message on AIM. I was answering a question from someone and didn´t get to it in time. Please send again.

#13 ·
Me and my brother are going to do a custom job with my exaust. The parts with a long tube pacesetter header, 2 1/4 piping, new flex pipe and magnoflow muffler will be about 350$ which should gain about 10 HP. If you dont have the tools and a weilder i suggest going to a performance shop and getting it done by someone who cares more about performance than a profit. By the way Siragan if you want yors loud and throaty you are missing 4 cylinders. Im not a hater on 4 bangers but im not in denile either. :-?

#14 ·
Well. this wasn´t on a scort but we made a system for a twin cam neon that sounded great and wasn´t that pricey. keep in mind we had access to the equipment we needed (lift, welder, exhaust tubing bender) we used 2.25" mild steel and then to be a wiseass, no cat but we threw glasspack under it to fool the casual observer. used a 50 series flowmaster muffler and damned if that thing didn´t sound great. we cobbled together a exhaust system that wound up with a really deep rich tone. would love to try it again on a scort and see if it did the same... maybe the 94 does need new pipes??? think I´ll go check....

#15 ·
going from stock exhaust to 2.25" catback turned out to be an awesome difference in sound, and noticable improvement in throttle reponse, but it never seemed to sound very loud in comparison to all the fart cannons around here. i always assumed it´s because i´ve never heard it from outside of my car. today however, i discovered how sweet it actually is - i park in a hotel´s underground parkade whenever my carpool driver has an earned day off, and going thru the parkade this morning i set off 2 car alarms just by driving 10kph :-]
can´t wait for summer! it´s supposedly gunna be +10C, +40ish F in a week, that´s a 40C, 60F degree change in temperature from what it is now (-30C, -20F) crazy weather...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.