FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting it replaced two years ago, the pipe section which connects to my muffler and (I believe) the flex pipe has completely rusted through. Not only that, but the hangers have also rusted off of the pipe, leaving holes where they were welded on.

So when I go to the parts counter, what part should I ask for exactly? Is it just the "exhaust pipe" or should I be more detailed?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
uhhm, tell them you need the pipe that goes from the flex pipe back which is about what 3/4 of your whole system. OR, buy a cheapy harbor freight welder and cut that old flex pipe out and buy a universal one and weld it in :D and weld the hangers back on with some good filler metal over the pipe first lol. I know the rusty exhaust pipe issues though my whole exhaust has been overhauled with a cut off wheel and welder and tons of extra pieces of metal. and exhaust putty for my spotty welds lol.

anyway ask for the back pipe that goes from the down pipe to the muffler. I am pretty sure that's what it is.

HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up getting a 2" to 2" "adapter", aka 6" of 2" ID exhaust pipe - and clamping that in with a couple exhaust clamps. the whole job only cost me an hour and about $10 in pipes and clamps, and I now have a far quieter exhaust system.

Next weekend I'll tackle patching a crack in my cat. converter. I bought some special patching tape which says it can be used on CCs, so with any luck removing it will be the only difficult part.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
If you just replaced the flex with a pipe then you are at risk of cracking your cat. You need that flex joint. This thread is a testament to what I have always said about replacement exhaust systems, they don't last more than 3 years in the snow belt. I am curious as to what the stock systems are made of, they rust but last a long time. It isn't stainless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts