FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an exhaust leak (not very bad but getting worse) for about a month now. Will I damage the engine if I ignore it or can I just tighten it when I find some time.

·
Registered
899 Posts
that dependes on were its at. if its at your exhaust manifold and the head, im not sure about this but from what i understand it could cause you to burn a valve or two. other than that, its pretty much going to make it loud. if its before your 02 sensor it could cause poor gas milage

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
it won't hurt anything..

even if you take the exhaust system from exhaustmanifold back to the exhaust tip completely off, you won't hurt anything.. it'll just sound nasty..

·
Registered
373 Posts
From what i learned in one of my classes it could cause thermal shock on the valves if the hole is close enough to the head. Thermal shock is from the valves being so hot and then the cooler air rushing in from the hole and hitting the hot valves. It could cause them to become brittle and you could burn them like chadgore said.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Trashknight said:
From what i learned in one of my classes it could cause thermal shock on the valves if the hole is close enough to the head. Thermal shock is from the valves being so hot and then the cooler air rushing in from the hole and hitting the hot valves. It could cause them to become brittle and you could burn them like chadgore said.
Well i don't believe it. :D

My uncle drove his mustang for 2 months without headers. At the time, he had 120k miles on it. He now has close to 200k and it's still running fine. It was the nastiest thing i have ever heard though..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. It's not a very bad leak but it is at the manifold. I think I'll just tighten it to be on the safe side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts