FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi...am wondering on fixing my exhaust cause the cops caught me w/o a cat converter a excessive noise level on my exhaust...anyway my current exhaust set-up is a 88 gt ho 4-2-1 header w/ 2.25" exhaust piping, and a chrome muffler..anyway am thinking on putting a cherry bomb turbo muffler and a 2.5" catco cat....will i gain any low-end torque and sacrifice my mid-range power?....any opinions will be greatly appreciated....thanks....

·
Registered
5 Posts
i bought one of those cherry bomb turbo's from autozone and it made by 1.9 sound more hollow and a little bit of a rumble.....but thats what i wanted...because i hate the ricer fart cans. I dont know if i gained anything but i raced my buddies 350 chevy before i had an intake and muffler and i got smoked but now i stay right beside him.

G

·
Make sure it's not a law in your location that you have to have a Cat on the exhaust...I know all cars here in IL must have a Cat or they won't pass emision's testing...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
same

i know cars w/ cat are supposed to have cat on them...but i put the gt ho header in so it eliminated the cat so i just put an adapter on my exhaust but then i got caught by cops...so i just had a cat put in (2.5") catco cat that at least compensates w/ the flow and at one point being legel at the same time.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't remove the Cat just shove a valve down it's throat

If your state has emissions laws like I have to face here in MD, Simply place a breakoff valve in front of the cat and run the actuator through the floorboard near the shifter column. This will allow you to open or close your exhaust. With the exhaust closed air will flow through the cat back through the muffler then out you tailpipe. With the valve open it will release the ehaust gasses before the cat and make your car sound like a bat out of hell. I Have used this setup in my 95 LX for 3 Years now, I pass my emmisions test each year and when i am pulled over I pull the lever and it closes the exhaust back making the vehicle 100% street legal.

By the way the decreased backpressure gives faster response time from about 3-5 rpm.

If you are looking to run a larger exhaust just get a new cat, my setup is using a 95 mustang cat because it is 2.25 like the rest of my piping

·
Registered
911 Posts
instead of a valve....lots of racers do this...

They sell brackets that let you remove and replace sections of piping. So, you get 2 of those brackets and put one before and one after your cat. Then unscrew them and remove taht section of piping w/ ur cat and then replace it w/ a straight section of piping. Can get it swapped out in like 5 mins. In Ohio, the emssions i have at my parents house in clermont county actually gets under the car to see the catalytic converter. So if i had that valve system like you had, i would get caught and in trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.