FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,552 Posts
How many miles on the engine? i have had two vehicles that got about 500 miles to a quart; a dodge 413 based motor home, and a chevy with an overhead valves six, and 300,000 miles on it. I figured that it was worn oil control rings. Neither one had visible tailpipe smoke, even though neither one was new enough to have a cat converter.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
How many miles are on this engine?
How many miles are on the PCV valve?
Aftermarket or OE PCV valve?
What weight of oil?
What type of oil?
Did you do a compression test?

If it happens to be stuck rings, that can be fixed.

·
Administrator
9,600 Posts
first thing I would look at is pcv system. is there dark carbon soot on the tail pipe end?

a dodge 413 based motor home
probably tapered cylinders. used to be a thing where long haul truckers would pull into gas stations and leave them running because they ran so hot you could see the block glow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some soot on tailpipe but not excessive. engine rebuilt after blown gasket caused by overheating. rebuilt head, all new bearings, gaskets, pistons, oil pump, water pump and timing kit about 8,000 miles ago. block was decked and cylinders honed because had broken ring land on #3 piston. machinist measured the bore and recommended a hone instead of a bore. this thing really runs, maybe the rings haven't seated yet? new pcv valve. broke in with 30 w non detergent first 3000 miles. now running 10w30 semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Going only on what’s posted I’d be leaning more towards and internal issues. Have you performed a leak down test? 1qt approximately every 500miles is a ridiculous amount to be losing.

8k miles on the rebuild, unless broken-in poorly I’d expect the rings to have been well seated by now. No leaks, no idle, off-idle or part throttle issues all pretty much say the PCV system is good to me. You say “good compression” but what are your numbers? Are you sure there is no smoke specifically at startup? If there are issues with the valve guides I’d expect smoke at startup from the oil leaking down they guides and puddling on the pistons. Speaking of have you pulled all the plugs and checked them? Heck you could have minor issues with the valve seals, oil rings and a lazy PCV valve all adding up to this.

·
Registered
'95 Wagon & '96 Pony
62 Posts
When we bought our '96 Pony, we immediately drove it to California and found it was using 1 1/4 qts of oil per tank of gas (about 400 miles). It seemed to be a vanishing act, there was no sign of where it was going until the CAT light came on. Tailpipe was dry and gray so I figured the cat was doing its job. After 5 weeks of ownership the clutch fork broke and while the engine was out I replaced it for $500 extra. I kept the leaking engine because it was a strong runner even with 200,000 miles on it figuring it was a good rebuild candidate. This car wanted to show me who was boss, on the way home from the garage the clutch DISC broke. Oh yes, the cat recovered and the light went out after about a month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts