FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 manual zx2, yesterday as i was driving the engine shut off.. no warning lights, nothing. I attempted to pop the clutch as i was on a hill, but again nothing. i checked all fuses and fluid levels. i checked the fuel pump switch in the trunk, and i cant find anything out of the ordinary. When i turn the key in the ignition the starter turns but no response from the engine.. Is it a timing problem, can anyone help?

· Super Moderator
6,216 Posts
the engine won't even crank over?

are the headlights still bright?

· Registered
4,583 Posts
Are you saying the engine won't start or that it doesn't even turn over? If it turns over but doesn't start I'd start by listening to see if the fuel pump was priming the fuel system when the key is turned to the on position. If you hear the fuel pump humming when you turn the key to the on position the next thing I'd check would be the timing belt.

· Registered
43 Posts
My '98 5-speed did this 2 weeks ago (back on the road now).

I had previously had the timing belt changed at about 75-80k, it now has 128k miles. The timing belt itself did not break, but a pulley or tensioner on the belt did and the belt jumped off. Lesson learned, always get the entire timing belt kit when you replace the belt. I had a new belt, the whole kit, plus a thermostat and water pump with new serpentine belt all replaced for $538. It pays to have a family friend as a mechanic. :D

The timing belt (or related component) failure caused the exact same non-crank but electrical power symptoms you described. he thermostat and water pump were unrelated but my engine was running a little hot for a month or so, so I replaced those parts at the same time. Your belt may not be broken but it could have jumped a few teeth and messed up the timing, causing your no-start situation. A new belt kit and resetting the timing should get your car back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.