FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to place an engine from a 91 Scort into my 93 Scort. Does anybody know of any problems I might run into?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
well, first off, an lx has a 1.9L engine. so let me get this straight. you are going to swap a 1.8L GT engine into a 1.9L lx chassis, tranny, wiring, etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
ok. i was hoping you were still online but i guess not. if i am correct and you have a 93lx youd be better off swapping in a 1997 2.0L escort engine. 110hp 125ft-lbs. toqure. not as quite as good as a gt engine but it a helluva lot easier to do. later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
pballer98c said:
ok. i was hoping you were still online but i guess not. if i am correct and you have a 93lx youd be better off swapping in a 1997 2.0L escort engine. 110hp 125ft-lbs. toqure. not as quite as good as a gt engine but it a helluva lot easier to do. later
:withstupid: Scrap the LX to GT idea...you're going from a Ford to a Mazda setup...not too easy because you're gonna have to swap EVERYTHING... and if you think about it, there really is no point because you're not losing any weight by swapping into the same body style, the GT hybrid wont be any faster than the GT from the factory.

Do the LX to SPI swap. The SPI bolts directly to the LX tranny and all you need is the engine and ECU...meanwhile you can use the GT as a secondary driver. The added torque from the SPI will make the car faster than the GT. You won't be disappointed. :wink:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/419565/1 Go there and read all about the swap. Jeffescortlx is the master of his domain...which is swapping the LX for the SPI. :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
James92Scort said:
... The SPI bolts directly to the LX tranny and all you need is the engine and ECU...
Actully you dont need the ECU, I dont think it would even be compatible if you try'd because the 1.9 will have a OBD1 harness and the 97 comes from a OBD2 harness.
The 1.9 computer runs the 2.0 just fine, just need a SPI controller, the details are in the swap guide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,915 Posts
Jeffescortlx said:
James92Scort said:
... The SPI bolts directly to the LX tranny and all you need is the engine and ECU...
Actully you dont need the ECU, I dont think it would even be compatible if you try'd because the 1.9 will have a OBD1 harness and the 97 comes from a OBD2 harness.
The 1.9 computer runs the 2.0 just fine, just need a SPI controller, the details are in the swap guide.
I stand corrected!

Well, I was just throwing that in there for good measure, I couldn't remember if you needed it or not. :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
James92Scort said:
Jeffescortlx said:
James92Scort said:
... The SPI bolts directly to the LX tranny and all you need is the engine and ECU...
Actully you dont need the ECU, I dont think it would even be compatible if you try'd because the 1.9 will have a OBD1 harness and the 97 comes from a OBD2 harness.
The 1.9 computer runs the 2.0 just fine, just need a SPI controller, the details are in the swap guide.
I stand corrected!

Well, I was just throwing that in there for good measure, I couldn't remember if you needed it or not. :wink:
No problem, :wink: I just dont want some one buying something they dont need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
ive got a question for anyone who can answer it, im fully ready to do this swap, i got the tools, just need a weekend. I was thinking, crap this engine is comin out of a GT 5 spd, anything special i need to pull, splice, rewire into my auto wiring harness for my tranny, and does the tranny bolt up?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
sethxtreme said:
ive got a question for anyone who can answer it, im fully ready to do this swap, i got the tools, just need a weekend. I was thinking, crap this engine is comin out of a GT 5 spd, anything special i need to pull, splice, rewire into my auto wiring harness for my tranny, and does the tranny bolt up?
What year/model motor is going into what year/model car?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
sethxtreme said:
its an 87 GT 1.9 H.O. 5 spd (not swapping trans) into an 89 LX wiht the 1.9 CFI A/t.
You'll need to run that "HO computer" and harness for the motor, but I'm not sure if your auto tranny that you want to keep needs an "automatic transmition computer" to shift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
it doesnt need a cpu that im aware of...bc i have the ATX, and there is one wire going from the trans and thats to the thermostat. so i just swap that and its all good. But the trannys will bolt up right?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top