FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this issue for a while. When I have less than a half tank and dip a hard right, the engine will sputter and sometimes stall after a turn. Depending on G-force and duration of turn the engine will fail to restart for several seconds. Nothing more embarrassing that beating someone through a corner had have them catch up because your cranking a trying to restart. It seems as if I lose fuel pressure and sucking air into fuel system due to fuel sloshing. I have made to scort handle incredibly well and i can easily bust turns 2-3 times normal limits. I believe that the pick up screen has fallen off, or I just shift the fuel too hard. I have considered pulling pump (checking everything out of course), but see if I can fabricate a baffle to alleviate this problem. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, or had any suggestions. Your input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a 90' 1.8L SOHC Mazda 4WD Protege. Try Checking you're
the large Rubber Hose running from the Airbox to your Throttle
Body. Sometimes it gets a small hole that only opens up on
under certain conditions. Like hard turns. A hole in this hose on my
Mazda will stall it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
oil pressure switch/i doubt its fuel unless its starved when u turn but ive never had that happen to me...but on my hyundai i took a sharp turn and it almost died from low oil pressure only did it once though....

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
top and g4e are wrong..

gimpy is right..

theres a how to on here by fixitmattman..

i have the same issue and so does everyone else..

the problem seems to get worse and happpen closer to half tank with the larger fuel pump..
with the stocker it would happen at 1/4 or less

flat out bad ford engineering

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input, I have a "parts" GT, and I will try to improvise a baffle. It just occurred real bad tonight. I was tearing up a vacant lot and after a long right turn she sure as s*** died out, and for a while. It took so long restart, I thought for a second, I had a deeper issue like a blown timing belt. It would be just my luck to get towed away among several tire tracks. After several key on cycles, she finally fired and I was out of there. Ironically, it never happens during reversing 180s. Go figure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found the how-to on fixing problem; so thanks again!!
LowGT - How did you fix the issue? Just acquired my 96' GT and it has the issue, never had this issue with my 93' LX. Seems the fuel pickup is sucking in air, very odd. Please advise. thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts