FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so heres the senario, overheated the engine, tried getting it home...didnt make it. Engine cranks, has spark, has fuel, has vacuum, timing is dead on and has compression. But, low compression. Cyl 1 is the highest at 70 psi, cyl 4 is at 50psi, 2 and 3 are around 35 psi. I figure I cracked the head, blew a seal, fried a ring....somthing that my stupid a$$ could have prevented if I didnt try to make it home.

Anyway, I still cant get it to fire. It cranks fine and seems like it wants to cough here and there. Well after staring at it all day yest, and calling other friends that are mechanics, im pulling the damn powerplant. Friend that works in the auto recylcing industary got me a engine for $200 that runs and they will pull it for me. Heres my question......

How do you pull a FWD engine out? I can pull them out of mustangs and trucks with my eyes closed but have never even thought about doing it on a FWD until now. I know that you cant type me out a step by step but a finger in the general direction or a link would be great. I do have the Haynes book on my shelf in the man cave, but havnet look through it yet on how to pull the engine.

I did a quick search through How-To's and Engine Swaps but didnt really see anything on how to pull the engine out.

Anytakers?

· Premium Member
5,371 Posts
yep, pull it out from the top. As EscorGo said, you will need to pop the axles, linkage, harness, battery and tray, hoses, mounts, etc. Definitely drain the fluids first. The engine comes out easier with the trans still connected.

Not too hard of a job though. I have pulled at least a dozen scort engines in the past. They are fairly easy compared to other cars.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. ? about removing the half shafts.....when i purchased the car I had to replace the RF wheel bearing. Obviously taking apart is normally easier than reassembley.....but I had a very hard time getting the strut and the lower ball joint reattached to the framing that holds the end of the half shaft.

HOw can this be done easier?

· Premium Member
5,371 Posts
don't know... I've never really had any issues with getting everything to line up. Once I get the spindle lined up with the half shaft in place, I usually attach the strut and tie rod, then use a pry bar if the ball joint stud doesn't pop in.

· Premium Member
8,227 Posts
I allways cheat. I leave the tranny axles and all in the car. I just pull the motor. Remove all 4 mounts the the tranny can just be pushed out of the way.

I tried pulling both at the same time, but I went back to leaving the tranny in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.