FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 LX 5 speed with rebuilt motor, 3K miles.

I was driving at about 55 today when the engine pops, (only way i can describe the sound) jerks once, and then immediately dies. Check engine, oil, and battery light then come on. I don't think its the timing belt as its only about 3K miles old but i will check in the morning. The electrical system is fine. I tried starting it again but it wont catch, also the tach used to show about 2K RPMs during starting now it shows only 500 RPMs and seems to be straining. I had it towed back to the house and i desperately need it fixed as college is back in monday and i have to commute. I have the original engine in the corner and am considering doing a quick swap as it runs fine but i'm hoping you guys could offer a quicker solution.
And yes i did search.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
definitely check the timing belt, and the timing pulleys. did it sound weird when trying to start it after it died?

·
Registered
107 Posts
pextor said:
definitely check the timing belt, and the timing pulleys. did it sound weird when trying to start it after it died?
I'll second that. Check the timing belt. If the timing belt is intact, put a timing light to it, to ensure that you haven't jumped a tooth or spun the timing pulley.

·
Registered
107 Posts
white-lightning said:
Why not do it yourself? It took me 2.5hrs to do sitting in the driveway. If you don't have time I understand, but you can save a lot if you do it yourself.
Slowpoke. :p 45 minutes on the side of the freeway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts