FEOA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i went and washed my engine bay today at home.. all nice and dandy.. then SOMEhow the battery totally drained! then my car was running like **** missing a stroke .... i figured water in the engine, but i drove for about a 1/2 hour and it still does it, like struggles like a sob right from idle. My uncle said something about a spark plug actually being fried or something cuz it doesnt happen MUCH over 3500 rpm

so question is, what could be the problem

should i upgrade plugs and wires anyways?

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
My g/f's car had the same problem and it was the plug wires. I would replace both the plugs and wires anyway since plugs are so cheap.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Nuke: is yours a DOHC? if so I have had this problem before...and these may be causes for yours if you have not already checked....first look for moisture on top of the plugs, sometimes the covers leak and then I would check under the distributor cap....or if you're boneheaded like I was and have a cone filter and forgot to cover it...it could be wet and sucking water through the intake...which if that is the case it may all be well by the time you read this...happpy hunting

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nuke, take out your plug wires. Next, using paper towels stuff them into the plug openings in the valve cover - all the way down until they reach the bottom all around the plug. This will soak up the water that's causing the misfire. Using long shafted standard screwdriver, pull wet paper towels up and out of plug well. Repeat until towels come out dry. Then apply some dielectric grease to your spark plug boots and then reinstall. Provided that you have not blown the coil or irreparably damaged a wire, your car should run fine afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts