FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I also have a 93 cavi. And I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do about my engine knocking. Could putting in like a 40 or 50 weight oil help it or fix it? All so im using 87 oct. gas would upping it to like 89 or 90 what ever help? Thanks all

·
Registered
911 Posts
he shouldnt have to try to run higher octane....the car was made to run fine on 87 and if you have to run higher octane to get it to go away than that means you are avoiding the problem and not fixing it.

there are numerous amounts of things that could be wrong man. I suggest you take it to a shop, have them tell you whats wrong and then fix it urself or have them fix it...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
if it's for a cavy, i suggest putting the car into neutral with the engine running and keep the gas pedal to the floor. that should make everything a.o.k. :wink:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nothing can fix a rod-knock other than a short-block rebuild. Putting in a heavier oil MAY let the engine live longer before it finally throws a bearing/snaps the rod/etc.

What is a higher octane fuel gonna do?

Knocking/Pinging and a rod-knock are 2 ENTIRELY seperate problems dealing with entirely different parts of the engine.

edit - after reading that again, I'm not really sure whether you mean a rod-knock or a ping... I'm on drugs. Don't mind me.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Biggins2121 said:
Well I thought bout it but I just cant bring myself to kill another american made car.
I've said it once, and I will say it agan,

IMPORT > DOMESTIC

But in the meantime, here's a suggestion:
Try being more retarded.
I'm assuming that it's ignition knock, by the way. If it's your rods or lifter tick, well... then you're screwed. Heavier oil will help cover it up, but the problem is nowhere near solved.

Try retarding your timing. Most things on domestic cars are manufactured and engineered by retards, so pretty much everything on the car is retarded, but sometimes they'll forget the timing.

Translation: check the timing, and don't buy cheap gas. 87 is fine, just get it from a decent gas station, like mobil or sunoco. Also, make sure that your engine isn't running too hot, and make sure you have enough coolant. Mind you that most newer engines have anti-knocking systems, but the ECU can only retard timing so much. If the gasoline detonates, then the ECU can't do a damn thing about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.