FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, im getting another 1.9 with tranny to replace my 183k motor... if i cant get access to an engine hoist... would it be possible to put the motor and tranny in from the bottom?
basically lifting the car a good 3 feet or so off the ground and then raising the engine up with a few friends and a jack...

Ive done it before on GM A-bodys (Celebrity, Century Cutlass Ciera) but those have a separate subframe for the entire engine and tranny..

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well right now i have my tranny out and the engine is supported with some tires and some wood and the passenger side mount.... im just gonna let that motor fall out, im working in the yard right now, shouldnt do too much damage.... but tomorow im goin to get a motor and tranny from Georonimo in NY.. that one were gonna pull from the top, hes got a hoist... my concern is just getting the engine and tranny up there together...

I was thinking i could lift it in, attach the drivers side tranny mount and the pass side motor mount, then get everything into place and put up the Subframe for the center mounts...

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I think you'll wanna drop them separately. You'll need to twist and angle them around to remove them from underneath. Plus if you remove them separately, the weight will be divided. I can't imagine trying to lift the engine and tranny into position at once from underneath without a hoist. Someone is bound to get hurt.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what if i get it into position under the car, lift it slightly, and then lower the car onto the engine-trans? that sounds a lil safer to me

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
The worst part would be removing the cradle underneath. They're pretty hefty bolts, and usually rusted to hell. I needed to use a breaker bar until about the last few threads to get my rad support out. After that it's just a matter of disconnecting everything and carefully lowering it. The engine/tranny mounts are easy to deal with. A good jack with a tranny adapter would make it easier to get out. I wouldn't want to try and balance it on the saddle of the jack.

Matt 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts