FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got on this site about a month and a half ago as I just had purchased a '91 GT that needed lots of TLC. Well, have replaced the rear rotors and pads (new), front left steering nuckle (bearing was bad and just went with a salvage nuckle), plugs, wires, cap, and rotor (all new), two new front tires (bad bearing had killed last two), and a rear lug stud as one got broken off. I am very proud of myself as I did everything (except mounting tires) myself, most of which I have never come close to doing before. Here are my problems now though. The engine still kind of spits and sputters. I thought it may have been the plugs and wires thing, but it really hasn't improved. It seems to drive fine, but idles rough or seems to jerk a little in fifth gear at lower rpms if I just barely have my foot on the gas (say about 47-50 mph). Would this maybe be just a clogged fuel filter since I have taken care of two of the Big Three (air filter is fine and the plugs)?

The other thing is a hole in the exhaust pipe. Specifically the down pipe mounting bracket area and flex pipe. I believe this is all one unit (just past the exhaust manifold), but need to find a cheap one for now and a good cheap place to take care of it. I am in Fort Wayne and know a few of you guys are around here. Hires up Lima road has given me a quote of about $70 for the part and $45 for install. Anywhere better?

Thanks guys for the help. You are all an invaluable resource.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I can't help you with your exhaust question..

Just wanted to congratulate you on all the work you've done on your car. People who lease new cars and take their cars to a shop for every squeak and rattle it makes will never understand the pleasure felt in driving something they maintain themselves.

Look for vacuum leaks and take a look at your plugs to see if they're showing any signs of poor combustion. What kind of gap are you running w/ those plugs?

A clogged fuel filter is usually something that makes itself known at higher RPM, and WOT, where more fuel is being drawn through it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beaverboy,

Thanks so far. I bought a new fuel filter just in case, but your thought makes sense. (When the engine would be sucking more fuel, why would the filter allow more flow better?) How would I check for vacuum leaks, though, as my knowledge just keeps growing and growing? I also keep trying to check the plugs, but I think of it while driving down the road with the engine nice and hot. Not the best time to check it I think :wink: .

Thanks

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Vinman...where abouts in indiana are ya from? i live near ft wayne. Anyway, to your exhaust. that will hurt the longer you leave it open to rust and corrode more. but congrats on all the work done yourself. I am planning on a complete suspension rebuild myself. only giving hires the money to align the front end when i'm done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James92Scort,

Yeah, I'm in Ft. Fun as well. I updated my profile as well to reflect that. I think I was welcomed to the Fort area when I first posted.

I know I need to get the exhaust taken care of. One does what one can afford at the time though. That is why I am looking for the cheepest way right now.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
To each his own. spend what you feel is necessary to fix it. eventually i'm going all stainless steel from the cat back.

Where in ft wayne are you from? I live way out on the east side past Coliseum blvd down US 30.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm on the South side about 2 miles north of the airport.

Update on the running of the car... I found a vacuum hose, that goes from some black switch thing on the back passenger side of the engine, broke off from the switch thing. (This switch thing has a Mitsubishi emblem on the top of it ironically.) It runs up to the fuel pressure regulator. It has a little plastic vacuum outlet where the vacuum hose connects that broke off. I'm going to try to "JB Weld" it and see if that works. Ford doesn't show the part available any more and the scrap yard was closed tonight so wish me luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For a while now my car has been doing this exact same thing.. I did everything that you have and still no luck.. when you get if fixed be sure to let us know so I can fix mine too :lol: ...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had the same problem as you the engine splutter in 5th gear... It was because i had a hole in the flex pipe. Just to give you a idea the best price i found was 120$ "canadian" for the flex pipe and the whole thing that was hooked up to it. It fixed the splutter problem and i did notice better gas mileage ever since.

The reason it did this was because everytime you would hit a bump it would give you the impression that it's the engine when it would be the flexpipe letting air out...

Good luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The switch thing part has held, but I don't know if it really helped much. It still has a hick-up even when idling. It sounds like it is misfiring on one cylinder, but it's only occationally and then runs pretty ok when I start to drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts