FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I finally got the clutch into my 93EGT, and got it on the road. I am in love with this car, but last week me and a friend went to an abandoned airstrip with his G-Tech to get a couple 1/4mile times. (im entering a dragfest in a month or so, they have a newbie class).

Anyways, not to drag this out. I was flooring it, and when I get to about 5500rpm, the engine totally bogs down. If I shift just before that point, it will be okay until I get to that same point in the next gear. If I just continue to floor the pedal, the rpm's will actually fall to about 4800rpm and the car will just hold there. I am confused as to what is going on here. I am just guessing that it is leaning out horribly. I do not have an a/f ratio gauge yet (I have a 2gauge a-piller pod with a/f meter and oil press on order), so I am just pulling at strings here.

So far I have done the following:

Ran some fuel system cleaner / premium fuel (thought it was bad gas)
New wires (Economy ones for now..)
New plugs (NGK G-Power)

Im thinking that it might be the fuel pump, but the car runs great, exept for that single problem. Im going to get a new cap and rotor (I havent changed them yet, and I dont know how long since the previous owner did them).

I also have removed the airbox and I have a 3" cone filter. I dont think that would have a huge effect though.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
You've put on a cone filter, but did you check the intake tube itself between the VAF and TB when you did that? might have torn it. The engine bogging and sticking at 4800 might be it going into limp mode while the ECU tries to keep it from running lean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any other suggestions? The car lacks power overall. I got wasted by a stock 99 Hyundai Accent and a 93 Nissan Sentra SE. I can't even burnout.

I think something is really wrong. It seems to run ok, it just is really short on power, and leans out bad at 5500 or so. It still bogs down.

Im just about ready to bring it to a shop and let them have a look at it. The drag even I entered is in just 2 weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
EDIT: OOPS! I've got to remember that not all Fords have the EEC, some have the Mazda Engine Control System. Which years are which, for 'Scorts? My bad... But I left the link here in case it isn't somewhere on the site already. STILL learning stuff about Fords.

Your car is a '93? Try reading any codes the EEC computer has stored. Here is a link to the procedure - all you need is a jumper wire, and an analog meter if you don't have a "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light.

http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

BTW, is there a listing of what all the codes stand for, somewhere on this site? I've got 'em if not.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Have you inspected the VICS? (Variable Intake Charge System)

Will the engine rev smoothly over that point without flooring it? (like part throttle)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beaverboy said:
Have you inspected the VICS? (Variable Intake Charge System)

Will the engine rev smoothly over that point without flooring it? (like part throttle)
No, the engine will not rev above this point. It is hard to describe what happens when it hits this point. Its like the fuel is instantly cut, but there is no way that the EGT is limited that low, and I dont think that a limiter would feel like that.

After you hit this point, if you continue to hold the throttle, the rpms will drop about 500-1000 and then rise back to this point.

Maybe it has something to do with the VICS? I will have to take a look and see if the vics is actually working.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
I'm thinking of unmetered air getting in, like was mentioned if there is a hole or even a minute tear or crack downstream of the Vane, the computer is getting tricked. Make sure there are no holes or cracks in the intake pipe.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
hesitation rule #1:

check your timing

As beaver said, try it at half throttle or even quarter throttle. A good place to start would be to pressure test your intake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: The VICS is definitly NOT working. I can move the lever with my hand fairly easily, so I know its not siezed. But there is no vac at all, and it doesnt matter what the rpm's are at.

This means that the VICS is on all the time? This would explain my lack of low end power. Im not all that knowledgable about the VICS,

Im going to check for voltage at the solenoid and see whats going on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts