FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had my Eibach's and S/Rs for almost a year now and the past few months I had been hearing a clunk in the rear. I re-torqued everything two months ago and the sway brackets were loose. I though that was the problem, but apparently not. I only replaced the right rear mount last year so I figure maybe the other mount broke. Well today I went out and got a new mount and boots( I was lazy and didn't get new ones last year) and new lower spring isolators that should be in in another few hours. Upon disassembly I found the mount was not broke, but it gets replaced any ways. Now my spring coils have apparently been hitting on the end were they are closer together. The tighter coils are up top. Did I install them upside down?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Sure did!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I think an easy way to tell is by the word "Eibach" on the spring. Do you have to turn your head 180* to read it properly?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I reinstalled everything. To re-cap I replaced the strut mount on the left rear, new strut boots with the bumpers, and new lower spring isolators. I also flipped the bolts around on the end-links so that the head is on top and the excess thread hangs down.

On the way to work and back I did not hear the clunking noise I have been hearing previously. So something I did worked, but what? I have to go over 4 sets of rail road tracks and did hear it once. I usually hear it if I don't crawl over them at below 5mph.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am just going to throw this out there since everything appears to be in good shape on your car. I had a clunk/rattle in the rear very similar to what your describing back when I had S/R with eibachs. I could not find it for the longest time and all my suspension was in working order as well. I finally found it one day by accident. I had aftermarket Kenwood 5x7 speakers in the rear to replace the stock units, and when I hit a bump hard the basket on the back of the speaker what hit one of the bolts on the top mount that come thru the body, but it sounded like the suspension was f-ed when it happened. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well apparently the isolator on the drivers side has wiggled its way from under the spring. That would account for some of my noise and the rest seems to be my end-links after seeing what thereildeal said about his joshlx end-links. I discovered it today when I was checking on the strut boots that I put on. Has anybody else had this happen?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.