FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a zex dry kit, car is timed at 10* and i feel like im not getting the full power. its got a 75 shot. i know i should be running 93 octane but im not rich to buy it. my question is if i run 100 octane, what should i time my car at? i know im suppose to retard the timing for the nos but when i ran 91 octane at 15* it felt like it had way more power, im confused to a certain point

· Registered
552 Posts
nos is a brand name of nitrous that Holley makes. What you are looking for is N20, or nitrous oxide.

the 91 octane gas, was that using ethanol? If so, you dont need to retard the timing as much since the flame speed is higher with alcohol. Also, these engines have the timing pretty far retarded from where they can run anyways, so you can actually do quite a bit without needing a higher octane or needing to retard timing. Plus the nitrous really cools the intake charge, so you reduce the need for timing and octane slightly. Although I would be concerned with a "75 shot" at 15* with 91 octane.

at the 100 octane, you should be able to stay ~12* timing safely with the "100 shot", though putting that much nitrous in these motors..... I would really recommend a visit to a dyno to tune, especially since I would be worried about leaning out even with the 75 shot. I hope you have a wideband, I would want to keep it fairly rich.

edit: never noticed you were using a dry kit till I read the other posts. --fail

· Registered
1,577 Posts
in before denis.

what are you using to add fuel?

where is your wideband o2 readings

where is your EGT reading

you are not too poor for 93 octane lol its the cheapest insurance you can buy. Do yourself a favo and dont spray without i93 or higher.

if you mess up the slightest bit you are going to have a semi blown motor with low compression from detonation or if you really suck a blown motor.

take out the bottle until you have WB02 readings and a way to tune your fuel.

· Registered
1,577 Posts
PS if you post "help ive blown my motor" two weeks from now we are all gonna be saying "told you so". dont cheap out, get a wideband and good fuel control then spray to your hearts content.

· Registered
1,588 Posts
Oh god...

NO. Take it all out. You might be able to get away with a 75shot WET on stock fuel system, but absolutely NOT a dry system. You're running your car stupidly lean, and it's detonating, which is why you don't feel like you're getting full power.

That motor is already toast. Sell the nitrous setup and start saving for a rebuild.

If you want the quick easy way to run a 75shot, just buy a WET kit, and a 190lph fuel pump, put timing back to stock, run 91-93 octane, and one step colder plugs. Done.

· Registered
1,577 Posts
ya 1 lean mix is all it takes to ruin the motor, you should compression test the engine asap

· Registered
161 Posts
lol 1992tracer. I watched that movie the other day.

· Registered
1,577 Posts
must be nice to have an ems give you a pop up warning about egt levels. his timing must have been fully retarded due to 1000000 shot of n20. gotta love the nfs blur effects in "real life" f&f.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.