FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have heard both ways on this. I have a 94 and when I was getting the speedometer checked we ran it up to the red in 5th just for fun. They speedometer was actually pretty close at the high speeds. It hit 148 on the rollers and never complained once. When the rollers said 120 the speedo was just a barely below that. Point being, if there is one mine doesn't work.

·
Registered
911 Posts
max stock speed is about 120 on the road. theoretical is 136... 148 no the rollers i guess because there's no friction...but on the road i've driven 3 and i've not been able to go any faster than 125. but ford says w/ enough power the theoretical is 136.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Best I could manage on a slightly hilly two lane highway was 118. Thats real world driving with a bunch of crap in the rear and me in the car by myself.

My tires are rated for only 108 mph (195/60R15s). So I've only done it once or twice.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Well, the automatic might have a speed limiter to keep the car from pinging itself off the redline...but as far as I know my manual could hit 130 mph if I had a long enough straightaway with no hills or pot holes...not to mention no traffic.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've been to 7 grand with mine...the speedo doesn't go past about 120...but the needle kept going down into the trip meter...I did a guestimation of 140 due to the idea that when I am in 5th gear ont he highway if I'm running 50, I'm turning about 2500 rpms....and at 60 I'm turning 3000 rpms...this has been called every kind of bs after I mentioned it before...and I was even told to do the math that it was impossible.....now first I will give a bit of info about my car...at the last time I ran my car that hard the odometer read 130,000 miles, was lowered 1.75 with intrax springs, still had factory airbox, but with silencer removed...regular air filter basically no real mods done at the time...as far as I've been able to find in my 8 years of owning this car there is no rev limiter...now here is the link to where the math was done if you are interested...

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2394

now I will also say that it did take a fair piece of road to get it all the way topped out...

·
Registered
1 Posts
140ish

i was hanging witha prelude on flat road until about 135-140, then he started pulling away slowly, and we both swore we saw a cop on the other side of the road turning around, so we slamme don the brakes.....it was actually just a car exiting on an off ramp... guess your mind plays tricks at high speeds :twisted:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Re: 140ish

hondaeater said:
i was hanging witha prelude on flat road until about 135-140, then he started pulling away slowly,
Now am i safe in assuming this was like a 2000 Prelude?

1/4 Mile: 15.4

How did you hang with that, unless you have NOS or a turbo? :?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
maybe he meant interstate 135-140....

or maybe he was doing 135 hectares per stonefall :)

Best speed in my LX wagon was about 122 or so, with a good tail wind and a TON of room to accelerate. Took me like 2 minutes to get up there.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have has my 1991 EGT up to 135 MPH. I know the Speedometer does not register above 120, but according to the Tach position, I was at 135. It was a flat road. My mods were K&N FIPK, Custom Fresh Air intake, and Pacesetter header and exhaust.

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW! Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to take it that the std trans EGT doesn't have a speed limiter.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You get 148 if you are willing to ignore the red. Young and stupid. Was looking for 150 just because It would be cool to say "yeah, it could do like 150 on a good day" but there is a rev limiter in there somewhere and it called a halt to the festivities. Thing darn near jumped off the rollers when the rev limiter started playing around. That and differences in tire size and manufacturer will play with your effective gear ratio.

·
Registered
911 Posts
we've had this argument before....this i know, but i really dont think its possible to go above 130. Like i said, the theoretical is only 136, which is under the right sea level conditions, right temperature conditions, perfect tires, perfect body, perfect weather, and perfect roadway.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts