FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friends and I completed a swap of a lower mileage engine into my daily driver egt this weekend, but i'm unable to get it to start. it cranks over normally, has good compression and the fuel pump is running (i hear it in the back and also hear fuel rushing through the fuel rail when the key is on). I've checked the spark plugs, but I get no spark. Obviously this can be a number of things, so I'm trying to narrow it down. when the key is on, i get the brake, oil and battery idiot lights, but no check engine. i read somewhere that this could indicate a problem with the ecu. I also have this connecter pictured below that nobody has been able to figure out where it goes. Any ideas on this connector or the lack of the CEL?

The connector in question is the one in the foreground, in focus. I know the one behind is the O2 sensor, but I'm assuming that having it disconnected is only going to throw a code and not keep me from having spark. Best I can figure from looking at schematics and whatnot is that it's a ground, but when I jumper it to ground I still get no spark.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
what wires are going into the plug? the only thing I see that's similar has two wires, both black with a different colored stripe. and they ground on the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it's 2 wires, black with a stripe. the consensus seems to be that it's a ground. i'm going to hunt for a tang to plug it onto properly. hopefully I'll get spark then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the temp sensor on the thermo housing is plugged in, so it's not that. the best i can tell from diagrams and replies is that it's a ground for the vaf. not sure why or if that would disable spark, but i'll get it hooked up tonight and see, weather permitting. the lack of cel still concerns me tho. and the bulb isn't burned out.. it was definetly working before

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
m0jumb0 said:
the temp sensor on the thermo housing is plugged in, so it's not that. the best i can tell from diagrams and replies is that it's a ground for the vaf. not sure why or if that would disable spark, but i'll get it hooked up tonight and see, weather permitting. the lack of cel still concerns me tho. and the bulb isn't burned out.. it was definetly working before
No thats the fan temp switch in the stat houseing.
The temp guage senser is below that on the front side of the motor.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I know the fuel pump is working but are the injectors pulsing? My friend once had an EGT that would skip and die for no reason. Eventually he traced the problem to the distributor. Once he replaced that it fired right up. The camshaft position sensor is in the distributor and occasionally they go bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i found the bracket that that connector goes on in my spare parts. installed it but still no good. no CEL either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i may give replacing the distributor a shot as well even though both engines were running prior to all this. worth a shot i guess

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i just pulled a plug and the bores are bone dry, so the injectors aren't squirting either. it's gotta be a problem with the computer missing some connection or another.. no spark, no injector pulse, and no CEL. i doubt the computer has gone bad since i just drove the car friday, but i have no idea where to start with this...

·
Registered
83 Posts
im not sure if it matters but in 96 they went to OBDII what year is your car and what year is the engine. Like i said i dont know much about the differnce between the two im just throwing it out there.

If that doesnt matter then i think i would start with either the computer or the wiring from the dist. its like its not getting a crank signal

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
black93lxe said:
im not sure if it matters but in 96 they went to OBDII what year is your car and what year is the engine. Like i said i dont know much about the differnce between the two im just throwing it out there.

If that doesnt matter then i think i would start with either the computer or the wiring from the dist. its like its not getting a crank signal
Putting a 96 engine into a older gt isn't going to be a big deal. It's putting an older engine in a 96 that messes with you.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I don't the engine being OBDII would matter as long as you use the sensors from your old engine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That almost looks like the connetor that connects to the spade terminal on a starter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well what i neglected to mention is that my friend who doesn't know his own strength, ripped the nipple out of the heater core trying to take one of the old hoses off. i discovered just now that apparently coolant leaked all over the ecu... i've got the ecu out and all the connectors in the area unplugged so they can dry out. i've got the ecu from the other car, but it's an auto... are the ecus for an auto and manual different on a '91? the connectors are the same.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The auto ECU will run the engine but will throw a CEL because it can't find the transmission.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
madmatt2024 said:
I don't the engine being OBDII would matter as long as you use the sensors from your old engine.
Only three sensers are different! The water temp senser in the head near the throtle body, the MASS air senser and a crank position senser was added. So you only need to swap 1 senser.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
m0jumb0 said:
i've got the ecu from the other car, but it's an auto... are the ecus for an auto and manual different on a '91? the connectors are the same.
They are the same for 91. The trans computer for the 91 auto is under the dash bolted to the peddal assembly.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I know my SEFI's and SPI's, why would the GT be that much different? The GT autos have the same transmission internals after all and computers get angry when they can't find their tranny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts