FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this from someone and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about

it started when i accelerated quickly it would come one.. now its staying on longer.

My cousin had this same problem in his MX3.. and now it just stays on all the time?

Brake fluid?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Brake warning light indicates a loss of pressure from low fluid. The low fluid can come from a leak in the system or calipers/wheel cylinders that are super extended due to thin pads/shoes. Check it NOW before you have a gouged rotor problem!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If there's a float sensor in the brake fluid reservoir, then that explains the light coming on when you accelerate (the fluid is going to the back of the reservoir and the float is dropping). Re-fill the reservoir and start searching for leaks at the wheels, clutch slave, and carpet behind the brake and clutch pedals. Once you find the leak, replace the part and flush the entire system.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Humm happened to me already
the reason why your light blinks on when you accelerate is because your ebrake cable is loose... so when you accelerate your ebrake handle engaged itself just a little..not enough to really apply the brakes but just enought to make the light blink on...tighten the bolt and it will stop doing it...

i was pretty upset with it when it happened to me..but its really a stupid thing and a quick fix...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regrading brake fluid level:

If there's a leak, fix it and fill the reservoir.

If there isn't a leak, DO NOT fill the reservoir. It's low for a reason: shoes and or pads need to be replaced. Doing so pushes the wheel cylinder's pistons and or calipers' pistons back and raises the reservoir's level. Filling it before a shoes and or pad relpacement will then make the reservoir overfilled or overflowed.

·
Registered
832 Posts
the warning light

as stated before by someone else it comes on from a loss of pressure. In my case (1.9l) the problem got progressively worse. I also had a rough idle. No connection? I solved the rough idle problem by replacing the vacuum line that goes from the pcv valve up behind the engine. there was a HUMONGOUS hole in it. I was surprised the car would even run with that hole. It might as well have been cut in half. Anyways, after I replaced that hose the idle is smooth as butter and the brakes don't lose pressure when i slam them on and accelerate hard immeditely afterwards.

·
Registered
73 Posts
bill4123:

I seem to be having the exact same problem. My idle at stop seems to fluctuate between 250 and maybe 1000rpm. it's fine while driving but at stop is when it happens. Would you beable to eplain in a little more detail where this vac line is(size, colour?) I will check and see if this fixes the problem. Otherwise when I go to the shop tomorrow I will add it to the list of things to check.

I also have the brake dash-light problem but my e brake is stuck in the locked position. both sides seem to be seized. Does anyone know of a way to get them to unlock? Any help would be most appreciated!!

Jay

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
tomcat:

1. A leak in any of your vacuum lines will mess with your idle (ingress of unwanted air). You really have to check them all to be sure. The line he refers to comes off the PCV valvem like he says and runs toward the firewall. It's harder to describe better than that. They're all black. The PCV itself is near the cooling fan shroud.

2. You have the brake light problem BECAUSE your e-brake is off its limit switch. Your cables are seized - replace them. They're pricey though ($75 Cdn each, from what I remember). They are not interchangeable, believe it or not (one left, one right). They're a bit of a pain to replace unless you have a lift.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually the brake problem was worse than expected.....

Turns out the brake cylinder(I think) was leaking on one side and the brakes on the other side were completely gone..... Also the shoes were shot as well. I had the whole kit replaced.

As for the E-brake lines, it turn out there is supposed to be some kind of boot that goes over the whole mechanism at the back of the drum assembly. I didn't have either side so the pins seized right up. getting those replaced as well.

Am having my mechanic take a look for this possible leak in the vac system..... we'll see what happens!

Thanks guys for the info!

Jay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.