FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done a dual alternator setup on these engines? Is it even possible? I realize that custom brackets would have to be fabed up I just would like to know if it has been done before. Links to any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Just do a google search for it. If it's been done on another car, I'm sure it could be done on this. Would probably have a problem with voltage regulators fighting each other. Why exactly do you want to do it though?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just an option to be thought about. Plus I have two good rebuilt stock alternators that I got for free from a friend and I thought that it might be cheaper to run them compared to getting an H.O. or having one rebuilt to be H.O.

·
Registered
927 Posts
zzyzzx said:
I can't imagine where you owuld put it, even if you had no A/C or Power steering.
Pulley driven from the right rear wheel! :eek: :lol: ;)

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts
zzyzzx said:
I can't imagine where you owuld put it, even if you had no A/C or Power steering.
You could probably make it fit in place of the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
yeah they're ABOUT the same size... but i still want to know, why?

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts
I am still surprised that people want a huge stereo in their cars. I have 1 300W amp connected to an 8" Audiobahn sub and a Pioneer head unit powering aftermarket speakers. If I crank the sub up the sound level gets unbearable in the car but outside you can't really hear it. If it is possible for my system to be unbearably loud in the car without shaking the ground then how loud is inside a car that shakes the ground?!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I said, its just something I was curious about. I found a site that sells 160 amp alternators for around $200 or so, or I might get one reworked by a local alternator shop depending on the price. Plus I'm gona throw in a yellow top. I just thought i would ask to see if its been done.

·
Registered
230 Posts
madmatt2024 said:
I am still surprised that people want a huge stereo in their cars. I have 1 300W amp connected to an 8" Audiobahn sub and a Pioneer head unit powering aftermarket speakers. If I crank the sub up the sound level gets unbearable in the car but outside you can't really hear it. If it is possible for my system to be unbearably loud in the car without shaking the ground then how loud is inside a car that shakes the ground?!
I agree, I have a friend who has 2 12's in his trunk, I think people just do it for show more than anything, you cant really hear the music when its that loud. I think a single 10" or 8" is all you need if you are actually trying to enjoy your music, a little extra bass makes for some better sound quality, imo, but that also depends what kind of music you listen to.

Also curious why you would need this much power, maybe the OP is building a time machine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.