FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you could ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you im just a tad rough on my cars.. and i think now is when im realizing this..
I finished droppin the trans today... and the fucker looks like sum1 shot it with a 44 mag in 2 spots.. theres 2 humongous holes in the housing, and there was a gear just sitting there when i took it out.... well its hard to describe in words,, just look... OH BTW.....

THE CAUSE OF THIS MESS......SPEED SHIFTING!!!!! DONT SPEED SHIFT!!!!!!! THIS IT WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here i am after finishing

Heres what i found in there

Take a closer look

and even closer

I broke 3- 32mm sockets on my axle nuts. so i just removed the hub, balljoint and all

I have NNEEEVVVERR seen ANYTHING like this how bout u guys?

DONT SPEED SHIFT!!!!!!! THIS IT WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
how did you blow your tranny so hard? and how are you so damn clean for just removing a tranny?

you can pull your tranny with out removing the axels all the way. looks like you will need and alignment now which really sucks.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went in to eat and had a sweater on b4 i took the pix, so i had washed up some lol :D I wish i could say i blew it up wit the MASSIVE POWER of my 1.9 lol but i think Speedshifting is what did it, mind u the car has 183k too. but ive never seen one that bad in my life

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i gotta go pick up the new tranny on monday, its only got 36k... bcuz of cash flow problems... im gonna have to leave the clutch thats in there on.... :x :x its in pretty good shape, i can easily get another 10k out of it, i just wish i had the $$ even if it would be for an OEM clutch. idk, maybe i can hold off and save up and get a stage 2... dont really need it but the longevity factor is a big one to me.. the current clutch has 84k on it.. the original went to 99k... so if i can get 99k out of this one i'll be happy. :D

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
yeah thats what my first tranny looked like... but speed shifing was not the cause. it was the differential, which it actually judging by the shape of the gear looks like it came from the differential. this would just be misuse, aka speed shifting but other factors included like clutch engagment and what not. good luck man. also i love my act clutch i picked up from corksport (its so rad they are like 30 min from my house :) ) its a great clutch very streetable, i have no problems in traffic but i can really break em loose into second if i want with no problems (stock lxe)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speedshifting = Shifting without the clutch, u get the RPMs right, and it will go in smoothly, but that doesnt make u an expert at it, damage is still done..

·
Registered
15 Posts
this is only recommended while driving casually, I do it all the time, it a habit that I get from driving trucks, after a while your leg can get so tired your to lazy to push such a heavy clutch!

My 96' 5sp. has no tach. but again from heavy truck driving I've learned to pay particular attention to the rpm by sound.

if your car will allow clutch less shifting don't force it or apply as much pressure as you would if using the clutch, as soon as your foot leaves the accelerator apply enough pressure to disengage the gear and apply just enough pressure to the next gear that your feel it between the guide plate once the rpms drop to the proper speed it will pretty much suck the gear into place!

down shifting is almost the same thing except you need to increase the rpms to drop a gear. but this is not recommended on such light vehicles even if you use the clutch I do it by habit sometimes. but your just burn your clutch out faster by down shifting just use your breaks there cheaper!

and again turn your radio down until you learn your car and then you can cost to a stop light and jump into the right gear if it goes green before you completely stop.

a good rule also (not exact but close) every 10mph shift, so down shifting, if your costing to a light and your at 20 mph you should need 2nd gear 40 mph 4th gear, ect...

oh every one thinks that you need to have a shorter throw to speed shift properly at high rpm, try pulling 80k lbs with 2-3 FEET of throw and speed shift through 10 gears, the best training you cold ever get!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Aquilo said:
this is only recommended while driving casually, I do it all the time, it a habit that I get from driving trucks, after a while your leg can get so tired your to lazy to push such a heavy clutch!

My 96' 5sp. has no tach. but again from heavy truck driving I've learned to pay particular attention to the rpm by sound.

if your car will allow clutch less shifting don't force it or apply as much pressure as you would if using the clutch, as soon as your foot leaves the accelerator apply enough pressure to disengage the gear and apply just enough pressure to the next gear that your feel it between the guide plate once the rpms drop to the proper speed it will pretty much suck the gear into place!

down shifting is almost the same thing except you need to increase the rpms to drop a gear. but this is not recommended on such light vehicles even if you use the clutch I do it by habit sometimes. but your just burn your clutch out faster by down shifting just use your breaks there cheaper!

and again turn your radio down until you learn your car and then you can cost to a stop light and jump into the right gear if it goes green before you completely stop.

a good rule also (not exact but close) every 10mph shift, so down shifting, if your costing to a light and your at 20 mph you should need 2nd gear 40 mph 4th gear, ect...

oh every one thinks that you need to have a shorter throw to speed shift properly at high rpm, try pulling 80k lbs with 2-3 FEET of throw and speed shift through 10 gears, the best training you cold ever get!!!!! ;)
Ban due to absurd thread revival.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.