FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.... DRIFTING IN THE ESCORT..... WHO CAN DO IT?
I did it in the parking lot at my school tonight.... now mind you, all my suspension, the whole car, is bone stock..... I had it sideways and about to go around completely doing about 45...... so, come on...... who's done it before???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,709 Posts
I can tell you from experience that FWD cars that oversteer tend to do so relatively unpredictably. Don't confuse this with neutral handling. I've found that FWD cars that "break free" will often be difficult to control and tend to spin out completely. This isn't very condusive to quality, long drifts.

The best way to get a FWD car to oversteer is to use a rally technique known as the scandinivian flick. When you're entering the mouth of a turn, you turn AWAY from the direction of the turn to give the rear end of the car momentum, and then you proceed to straighten the car and navigate through the apex. In a FWD car, you'll countersteer and use throttle modulation (typically wider throttle positions than in RWD, but less than AWD) to keep the car balanced through the apex of the turn.

I could get my old festiva to oversteer on dirt roads, but it's very difficult to do efficiently. But yes, it is possible.

Road surface conditions, weight distribution, throttle position, and tire type have the greatest influence on how the car behaves when it breaks free.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,286 Posts
ok.. drifting is when you have rear wheel driveand you go bwwaaaa bwaaaa BAM down shift and slam the wheel, countersteer....

in a front wheel car its called an EBRAKE... big difference.


you cant "drift" a fwd car... you can ebrake arround corners tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marclar said:
ok.. drifting is when you have rear wheel driveand you go bwwaaaa bwaaaa BAM down shift and slam the wheel, countersteer....

in a front wheel car its called an EBRAKE... big difference.

you cant "drift" a fwd car... you can ebrake arround corners tho.
haha i haven't used the e-brake while moving since i got the car lmao

ok.... so i was flying through the empty parking lot..... back end started sliding out, so i countersteered, as it kept sliding..... it took about 40 feet to get it straight...... if that's not drifting idk what you'd call it. no e-brake was involved whatsoever. my e-brake doesn't even lock up my tires anyways haha if you don't believe me, watch my burnout in my "rainy day" video. from a stop the e-brake didn't stop the tires from rolling. my back end slides out on normal turns for god sake. so, you can all eat me. period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
and doing it in snow does not count as drifting :p

If this is what you are doing well hell yeah i've been sliding in parking lot at nights for about 3 years now :p

I like the way my wagon handles in snow hehehe . unless you loose control then you're having a fat ass dragging you sideways lol :p

EscortGT: Try that...get a snowy parking lot...accelerate, then e-brake, turn, shift in reverse as you have now turned 180 degree and then slam in second gear again :p magical 360 degreee sliding thing.....

ALWAYS MAKE SURE THERE IS NO CARS AROUND OR PEOPLE OR ANYTHING !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Electronikal said:
and doing it in snow does not count as drifting :p

If this is what you are doing well hell yeah i've been sliding in parking lot at nights for about 3 years now :p

I like the way my wagon handles in snow hehehe . unless you loose control then you're having a fat **** dragging you sideways lol :p

EscortGT: Try that...get a snowy parking lot...accelerate, then e-brake, turn, shift in reverse as you have now turned 180 degree and then slam in second gear again :p magical 360 degreee sliding thing.....

ALWAYS MAKE SURE THERE IS NO CARS AROUND OR PEOPLE OR ANYTHING !!!!
there's not even snow here yet. the ground is kinda hard. that's about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Electronikal said:
and doing it in snow does not count as drifting :p

If this is what you are doing well hell yeah i've been sliding in parking lot at nights for about 3 years now :p

I like the way my wagon handles in snow hehehe . unless you loose control then you're having a fat **** dragging you sideways lol :p

EscortGT: Try that...get a snowy parking lot...accelerate, then e-brake, turn, shift in reverse as you have now turned 180 degree and then slam in second gear again :p magical 360 degreee sliding thing.....

ALWAYS MAKE SURE THERE IS NO CARS AROUND OR PEOPLE OR ANYTHING !!!!
and people wonder why there trannys go bad all the time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Nice photo....


Thank you Sirgan.... I love the scandinivian flick. Never had a car do it quite t like my old 91 SHO tho........


Grav1ty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,177 Posts
For those of you who say drifting a front wheel drive car is impossible, its not. ITs extremely hard, but it is possible. I've only been able to do it once, I din't mean to do it at the time, and it scared the crap out of me when I did it, but afterwars, I was like, "damn, I just drifted the scort, YES!!" :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Josh_LX said:
For those of you who say drifting a front wheel drive car is impossible, its not. ITs extremely hard, but it is possible. I've only been able to do it once, I din't mean to do it at the time, and it scared the crap out of me when I did it, but afterwars, I was like, "damn, I just drifted the scort, YES!!" :lol:
i do drift alot in the rain, i get basically what siragan said, but i don't do the scandinavian flick or whatever it was. i play with the throttle to get it to oversteer and then i countersteer... it's pretty fun if you can get it right.... and yes it is hard to control it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
My tranny is not going bad at all ! it's in great shape i must say !....i'm talking about 25-35 km/h here not 150 ! :p and by the way this is one of the numerous techniques i know have been used for years and years by stunt man in all the action movies out there !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,709 Posts
The more you learn about cars, the more you'll see that everything has to do with weight balance. It's all about weight balance. You can get any type of car to just about anything, but the conditions have to be right, and the driver has to know what he's doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,371 Posts
:roll: Exactly... because according to someone's definition of Drifting being "BWAAABWWAAA BAM Downshift..." in a RWD only car then why would rally types use AWD cars? I've seen plenty of drifts out of FWD cars. I've kicked my reare end out a few times as well. And one last comment on the needing to downshift theory... all that does is act like t car is braking like mad, you can initiate a drift by merely braking hard in a rwd car to get the rear end to travel faster than the front through a turn and then adding more throttle. But it still has to be controlled throttle, just womping on it will throw you into a spin... Siragan knows what he speaks as do many of the others on here talking about drift techniques for FWD. It's just a lot harder to drift a FWD car because you cannot force the car to oversteer as easily as you can a RWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Misfit_Zero said:
:roll: Exactly... because according to someone's definition of Drifting being "BWAAABWWAAA BAM Downshift..." in a RWD only car then why would rally types use AWD cars? I've seen plenty of drifts out of FWD cars. I've kicked my reare end out a few times as well. And one last comment on the needing to downshift theory... all that does is act like t car is braking like mad, you can initiate a drift by merely braking hard in a rwd car to get the rear end to travel faster than the front through a turn and then adding more throttle. But it still has to be controlled throttle, just womping on it will throw you into a spin... Siragan knows what he speaks as do many of the others on here talking about drift techniques for FWD. It's just a lot harder to drift a FWD car because you cannot force the car to oversteer as easily as you can a RWD.
^^ True, mostly because a RWD car will push itself through a drift while a FWD car is trying to pull itself through the turn. Like others said this doesn't mean the only way to get it to drift is to pull the ebrake and ass drag as some call it. A FWD car can drift it is just hard to do and the driver has to know how to make the oversteer into a drift. The picl of me in the snow was without an ebrake. Sometimes I use it and sometimes its more fun to drift without using the ebrake. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,892 Posts
I dunno about drifing, but I went to the mall today, and well, found out it was closed cause the parking lot was empty, so I was goin, got her up to about 60 or 70 (km/h) and just turned her right around the other direction. I had the back end sliding and stuff, but it wasn't anything like those drifting videos I've seen (you can rent one now from blockbuster in Canada).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
ive read alot about drifting and drifters do use the ebrake,so u cant say that using the ebrake in a fwd car isnt drifting because it is.Just because its not a rwd car doesnt mean u ant drift it..they drift fwd cars in movies even tho its not called drifting in movies its still basicly the same principle behind it.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top