FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
drifting is just sliding the rear end around. nothing magical to it. it can be done in a scort. its dumb to do on the street but it can be done. some people use the emergency brake to help. again dumb but it works.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
speak for yourself... drifting is the pwnzer!

I wish my ebrake worked, hell I'd practice it and use it in town when I get groceries! :D

Basically, in a FWD car like the scort, if you're taking a left hand turn, you have to anticipate the turn, and when you are about to enter the turn, you turn RIGHT (against the turn) very quickly to give the rear end momentum, then when you're about to go AROUND the turn, you turn left (into the turn) and then quickly jerk the ebrake to lock up the rear wheels. This will throw you into a skid. You then counterseer by turning right again, and then you straighten out once you're out of the turn. Piece of cake, huh? :)

So if you're going into a left turn...
1. Right
2. Left (turn) with ebrake
3. Right (countersteer)
4. Straighten out

If it's a right turn, then you just to the reverse steps.

To continually drift, you have to have a very powerful RWD car, like a souped up RX-7 that can continually spin the wheels, because the entire basis of drifting is to lose control of the rear end by either locking up the wheels or spinning them.

This is VERY IMPORTANT so pay attention:
In a car, static friction (rolling friction, when your car is rolling with no slipping) is much much greater than kenetic friction (when the wheels spin or skid). Because of this, when you drift, the rear wheels skid or spin (kenetic friction) and are relatively free to "ice-skate" on pavement. The front wheels, however, must remain with static friction to guide you around the turn safely and accurately.

This is the same reason why you'd rather have the front wheels lock up in an emergency stop than the back wheels. Most people would say that they would rather have the back wheels lock up, but actually the front wheels would be safer... try it out by taping up the front, then rear, wheels on a tonka truck or something and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
at the 25:40 mark of getaway in stockholm 2 in the rallying footage at the end of the video you'll see exactly what I described in practice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
sirigan gave a very thorough description of the "Scandanavian Flick" turn, mostly used in ralleying.

The drift competition is basically a tire shredder! For real high performance driving done for time (on asphalt), the goal is to get around the course as fast as possible. As anyone who has ever pulled the ebrake in the snow can attest, sliding around corners is fun. It is, however, not the fastest way to go around a corner. Race cars are designed to be well balanced.
The drift occurs when the car enters the turn at high speed, and all 4 tires lose traction at close to even rates, ie. the whole car slides in unison. It is a very controlled event, designed to get the car onto the next straightaway as fast as possible.
Oversteer occurs when the rear of the car slides out further/faster than the front. It LOOKS cool, but you lose time on the corner. The LOOKS cool part is what started the drifting competition...who can hang it out the furthest for the longest.

This STILL probably didn't answer your question, so I'll shut up now ;-)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No im slowly learning i just downloaded a few vids so i was curious.....Anyone know about the tray slide method?

1. go to a fast food place and stel some trays for food.
2. Place them under the back wheels.
3. put the e-brake on
4. drive around and have fun

I am nos responsible if you get arrested for stealing a tray. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
if yo have no "go" but want the "show", you're in luck

cars that have tons of power, lowered suspensions, braces, low pro tires, etc...have much higher limits of adhesion than "un-prepped" cars.
to throw a car like that into a drift takes more speed and skill than lesser cars

for example, with all the chassis/suspension reinforcements in my car, I refuse to "drift" in public (in dry weather). it would take such a high speed to do that I'm afraid of exactly "how" the car would break free.
snow, however, is a different story

when I was still in high school, i was driving my Mom's '85 Tempo to/from work...2.3L, no power, tall-ass 80 series 13 inch tires (175?). a piece of crap from a performance standpoint (acceleration wise), but I could slide/drift that beast around bends/curves like nobody's business!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
ok guys, learn to raly. a successful rallyer does not want nor need an ebrake, key word in ebrake is BRAKE.. as in NOT fast! it only slows you down. sure it may be fun

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Left-foot braking will also help to induce a "Scandanavian Flick".. but it takes a lot of practice to master.. in the end you carry more speed through a rally turn in a turboed rally car w/out using the handbrake as much. Pretty much you stay on the gas throughout the turn, using the brakes to balance the car. You don't lose boost, and the engine acts as a sort of anti-lock by keeping the wheels moving. If you've ever seen the brake discs glowing on a rally car while on a gravel stage and wondered how they could get enough traction to even use the brakes that much.. it's because the brakes are holding back that 300hp motor.

A Summary:

Japanese Competition Drift (which you cannot do w/ a FWD car): where you hang the tail out the longest.. usually with the rear wheels spinning on a liquid patch of rubber (from the tires they're melting beneath them) Is for show.

Race Car Drift: Which can be done with any car for the sake of moving faster around a racetrack. Is fast.

Videogame Driving Style: Just a name for Dukes of Hazard/Ridge Racer type driving which happens to look pretty cool. Is for show.

Rally Car Drift: Any time a rally car is on a loose surface and is not moving in the direction of the car's heading. Happens to look damn awesome and is actually fast.

·
Registered
138 Posts
what people call drifting technically isnt drifting, its powersliding.Bpletch1 gave the most accurate description of what a drift really is.

as for tray sliding back in the mid 80's we used to steal trays from the McDonalds 5th street and the Arby's in the fairgrounds mall and slide around the mall parking lot after hours in my friends Yugo and my moms twin stick colt.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well as soon as i get my car back and my tranny is broken in (hopefully not broken) Im gonna go tray sliding......Do any of you other feel more costly repairs that are gonna be needed for my car coming on? :twisted:

·
Registered
138 Posts
somebody made a comment about rally drivers not using ebrakes?If you look really close when they do the in car video in alot of the cars you can see a handle sticking up behind where the conventional shifter would be mounted, that is a steering brake, it locks each rear wheel individually to help slide the car in the corners and its the same setup you see in a lot of dune buggies

·
Registered
296 Posts
rev is right on that one...

the ebrake in ralleying is generally used on extremely tight corners where the "flick" would not be enought to rotate the car

1 - 20 of 28 Posts