FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
136,400 miles.

What are the more common reasons for "drifting"? I'm thinking in terms of Rack & PInion, SteerWheel U-Joints, and Inner Tie Rods................. I'm mentioning these because a major Tire/Alignment Business said they can't align my car because they wanted to sell me a brand new R & P for hundreds of dollars.

Is it common to have the U-Joints wear? Easy to change them out? What about the other two items?

Is this the proper forum? or should I be in the "Repairs"? or "Suspension"? or ????

thx,

LarryR : )

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Things that can affect steering drift/pull/wander are the rack bushings, inner and/or outer tie rod ends, worn rack, bad column u-joints(doubtful), ball joints, worn control arm bushings, or even a hanging brake caliper. Racks like any part can wear out, but if there are any doubts, get a second opinion. They must be trying to sell you more than just a rack, most come with inners, unless new, they will put on new outers. Did they flag anything else to get replaced to align?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.