FEOA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 wagon, 1.9/5spd. Blower mower quit working/intermittently working, cooling fan doesn't come on. Cruise quit working as well.

Time to replace ignition switch. But wait, all the ignition switches I can find say they fit "up to 12/95 production date". Well, you guessed it, my production date is 01/96. I've looked online, called my local ford dealer, NAPA, etc etc.

After lots of digging, I've found the part number to be SW5154 motorcraft. And it's an obsolete part. 1997 is completely different.

I've come up with nothing but dead ends. Anyone have a 96 parts car with production date after 12/95 and be willing to pull the ignition switch for me? Or perhaps a lead on obsolete parts? Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
Might be worth a trip or two to the local junkyard and hope they have a 96.

Reactions: 93Cobra2771

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Blower motor wire harness contacts corrode. You get an intermittent connection. COntacts eventually get hot enough to melt the wire harness plastics. Any evidence of corrosion and that connector has to be replaced.

May have been an unusual case but a key wore in such a way as to allow the ignition switch to be slightly out of position. Fresh key took care of it. Silicon spray and paste (dielectric grease) combination seems to be key to keeping switches healthy, free of corrosion.

You may try cross-referencing the part. Chances are that same switch was used with a different vehicle lineup and on that note, models that are typically purchased by businesses probably have a longer supply line.

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
You may try cross-referencing the part. Chances are that same switch was used with a different vehicle lineup and on that note, models that are typically purchased by businesses probably have a longer supply line.
I tried looking at Rock Auto for a 1996 Contour, which I think uses the same switch, which is why it was also unavailable.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Another alternative to a junkyard solution are a couple of hidden kill switches. (one switch would activate the other, making it impossible to accidentally drain the battery by absentmindedly forgetting to flip one)

The other possibility is to disassemble and refurbish the existing switch. Silicon lubricant sprays along with silicon paste (dielectric grease) are great at preventing or reducing oxidation of the switch contact surfaces. This has given me years (so far) of additional life out of switches I otherwise would've had to replace, on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
The other possibility is to disassemble and refurbish the existing switch. Silicon lubricant sprays along with silicon paste (dielectric grease) are great at preventing or reducing oxidation of the switch contact surfaces. This has given me years (so far) of additional life out of switches I otherwise would've had to replace, on the motorcycle.
There was someone here who built up a worn section on ignition switch contacts with solder.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Good idea. I remember doing that with my doorjamb switches. The standard leaded solder didn't work so well. The RadioShack "silver bearing" composition worked very well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've seen ignition locks on Ebay. Or you can do what I did and add a keyfob/pushbutton start. It cost me $20 to do that.

Reactions: 93Cobra2771

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
.... can do what I did and add a keyfob/pushbutton start. .........
Makes sense that there would be kits out there for that. May consider doing this for my motorcycle. Having keyless entry and start with the car is sooooooooo much more convenient; will never want to go back.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I’ve already been tossing that idea around in my head. Would just need to figure out the wiring for those six wires in the column. Definitely a last resort but would be kind of neat lol.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts